Topic

Tent repair advice wanted – fly velcro loops detached

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent repair advice wanted – fly velcro loops detached

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zero Flight
    BPL Member

@zeroflight

So I have a tent that has had a few ties come off.  Most of them are the velcro loops that secure it to the pole, but also one or two that are just the plastic rings for flap tie-backs.  They were attached to the fly separately (as opposed to sewn in) and whatever stuck them in the past has come undone.  They’re basically a small silnylon strip (basically rolled edges hemmed) with a velcro or plastic loop in the middle, with the strip itself having been attached somehow.  I still have the strips w/ parts, just need to reattach them to the fly itself.

What’s the best way to go about repairing/reattaching these?  Some kind of repair tape or adhesive plus a light hand stitch followed by seam seal?

For reference, the tent in question is a NF Mica 2, which is pretty much the same design as just about any 1 or 2 person backpacking tent.  At this point, the only points the fly attaches are at the corners where the pole attaches, so can flap pretty easily in a strong wind.  I’m not counting grams; more worried about effectiveness.

Thanks in advance!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Why not glue on small velcro strips with silicone glue?

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Had an older tent that had same issue. I scrubbed with warm water/soap the area from where the velcro fell off, and the back of the velcro. I got some Silicone Adhesive from Gearaid (HD had it but I didnt need a huge tube of it). Let it dry with some weight on it for a good bond. I let it sit a day before packing away. It all works fine now!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools