Topic

Tent recommendations for 1 adult & 2 kids?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent recommendations for 1 adult & 2 kids?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Hoping to get my 4 & 6 year old out this summer and have been a hammock dweller for the past few years. Looking for some recommendations of a cheaper/lightest tent that could fit all three of us?

I´ve read the TT Double Rainbow is a good size for 2 adults, any one ever tried to put an adult and two small kids in it?

Thanks!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If the kids are less than 3ft tall and you stack the head to head (rather than side to side) it would work. My favorite solution was a pyramid tarp… I took the middle and the kids went on either side so the steeply sloping walls wasn’t an issue.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Define cheaper?

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks, sounds like that might be a tight fit…

Cheaper = something I can pick up for under $300 used.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I would have recommended a Nemo Dagger 3p..  it is expensive though unless you scored one used on gear swap. I have one that I have used with 2 of my kids.. and there is lots of room in it. We fit my wide pad and 2 regular pads in it and all of our gear. 

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

REI members get 20% off and if you have any dividend refunds…

Derek Pankratz
    Spectator

@d_manty

We’ve had good success with a Black Diamond Mega Light with two adults and two kids. Could probably find it <$300 with sales and a little patience.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I’d lean towards a bit of extra space whatever you get. I don’t know about your kids but I’ve seen kids move a lot in their sleep on camping trips. And extra room is nice if there is rain etc.

Once we tried an experiment with a cabin full of campers and two staff in a huge tent. Somehow I ended up with a kid draped over my ankles. I tried to roll him off but another kid had rolled into his spot. Not wanting to move 3 or 4 kids I slept curled up in an uncomfortable ball. Never used that silly tent again.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks! My kiddos would probably want a floor…does anyone make a tent like this on the cheaper side that has a floor?

Think Iḿ going to error on the larger side.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Personally I’d look at a cheap generic 3 or 4 person Kelty. Not very light but with kids that young you won’t be hiking dawn to dusk like thru hikers. A couple years ago I took a 9 year old caribou hunting. He got tired so I took his rifle and I think his water in addition to my rifle, the spotting scope etc. I probably had 30 pounds. I still had energy to hike when the reasonably fit kid started to tucker out. I doubt a heavy tent will slow you down.

Side note, hiking gets old faster for littles. Plan fun campground activities. First pocket knife, s’mores, etc. When I was 4 or 5 I put a Donald Duck butter knife in a leather sheath I found somewhere and that was my “real” big kid knife.  I could peel bark off a stick and that was pretty cool for a preschooler (but not very dangerous). You might be able to do something similar. I like to have a few surprises I pull out at opportune times.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I’ve taken my 2 boys on many backpacking trips starting when they were 3 and 8, now 5 and 10, using a “4 person” mid w/ inner (TaraPoky Mega). Works really well for us. For something a bit cheaper, maybe something like Luxe Outdoor’s Sil Octopeak f8; or 3F UL’s CangYuan 3 (similar to Golite’s Shangri-la 3).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

One tent for you…and another for the kids? set up right next to each other if the kids prefer that.

Otherwise, yeah, go to Rei and get something generic that'[s not too pricey. It will work.

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I have tried to put two small kids in my Double Rainbow TT a couple of times for an overnight, but it’s not ideal. I brought my double matress that covers the entire floor of the tent and had one of them sleep facing the other way.

Now we just go with two tents.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks! I think I’m gonna try to find a deal on a TT Rainshadow 3…seems like it would be a good size and something we could use for awhile!

Kevin B
    BPL Member

@liv4mtns

PM sent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools