Topic

Tent Pole Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tent Pole Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Question on what diameter tent pole is needed for a Mid type tent. I’m hoping to use a pole that can unfold to the correct size (somewhere in the 60″-65″ range) instead of using trekking poles. Quest Outfitters has several sizes, but since there will be a lot of force placed upon this pole I want to make sure it’s plenty strong. Would the .625 or the .742 size work for this? Is that way to thick?

https://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

It looks like MLD uses a .5 thickness, however it’s Carbon Fiber so I’m not sure if that changes things.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/pyramid-tent-poles/

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use two poles

0.625 – super robust for heavy winds

0.433 – good enough for 90% of the time, I like the lighter weight.  If it’s windy it’ll start flexing a bit

Maybe if you were mountaineering or hurricaneering the 0.625 would be too wimpy?  But the entire tent would get shreaded too.

Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Thanks Jerry!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Great call on tent pole size, Jerry. Only thing I would add is having enough tie-out loops on shelter for strategic guylines set for heavy winds with appropriate anchor/stakes for the conditions/soil. It is truly amazing what an 8’x8′ tarp is capable of when set up properly with lots of guylines. In effect it is a system that needs a bit of synchronizing for the environment, but is very effective once adjusted.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Most of the flex will be in the centre of the pole. So if you can work out a method of combining diametres to have larger section in the middle of the pole assembly this might be the best of both worlds. My Moss tarp used .625 poles at the height you are asking about and I thought they were marginal at that height when the wind really blew and the guys were tight. The lightest solution would probably be a carbon fibre laid up pole set

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools