Topic

Tent hack : convert a double wall tent into a single wall one

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tent hack : convert a double wall tent into a single wall one

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone ever tried to convert a double wall tent into a single wall design.

It may seem like a weird project, but as I keep looking for the existing ultralight 4-man tent options (I think I’ve listed most of them, see below), and as I’m considering making my own Caffin’s style tunnel 4p tent, this idea occured to me when I found a somewhat lightweight, somewhat cheap Aliexpress option : could I hack this tent to make it single-wall, and therefore lighter ?

Of course, I’d need to think a lot about that, and that’d imply to change the fly design to add pole sleeves and find a smart way to connect the inner tent to it, etc…

The pros :

• Easier than making a tent from scratch
    • Relatively cheap option

The cons :

• Would still be a lot of trouble thinking and modifying the tent
    • Risk of definitely ruining a new tent
    • Unsure about the potential weight gain
    • Very uncertain about how it’d handle condensation

Has any of you done this before ?

Is it complete non-sense ?

Any suggestion on what (not) to do ?

Thanks !

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

My list so far of sub 3kg 4P tents :

PS : no, I’m not considering tipis and tarps.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You can just add or remove the inner from most integral pitch tents.

Some are easier than others, takes about 2 minutes with the Hogback.

This is the Hogback with a mesh inner , about 66 oz (1.87 kg)  :

without the inner looks exactly the same but you are down to about 40 oz ( 1.134 kg)

No modification whatsoever is needed to have the fly up by itself, in fact I can’t tell in that photo if the inner is there or not.

The inner is attached to the fly via rings and mitten hooks.

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I wonder if you could buy large dome on eBay of decent quality from REI, or Eureka.  Maybe you could make the rain fly work with a footprint pitch.  I have found some tents on eBay to work on and make usable again.  The most suspect area is a moldy floor of course.  But floors are a two dimensional thing that are easier to reverse engineer than a complicated shape like a rainfly. -Scott

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

@Franco

I want to keep the bug protection provided by some kind of inner tent. When removing the inner of a tent such as the Hogback, you loose that. I’ve looked at the Hogback, but I dislike the tiny vestibules… however, this remains a very attractive product in the lightweight category !

For my potential project, my main concern is how much weight I could save… would it be worth the trouble ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools