Topic

Tent choice help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    BPL Member

@oldschool75

Hey all,

I could use some assistance in choosing a tent.

Criteria-

1. Modular. I could use it to car camp, or the Green River in Wyoming for a week, then also use it for a week or so in the Wind River Region or the Bob Marshall.

2. Protective. I like to flyfish in places and times of the year where the weather isn’t great.

2. Spacious. Large enough for one person, hiking gear, wet fishing gear, and eventually a packraft.

3. Bug protection. Most places I fish tend to be buggy.

4. Tent poles or trekking poles. Some times I just want to camp and flyfish, and bringing trekking poles seems redundant.

5. DCF is nice, but the new DCF is out of my budget.

5. Good for someone who is 6’2″

Possibilities:

1. Lately, I am looking at 2 person mids with solo or 2/3 inserts such as the MLD Duomid, LG Khufu.

2. I have looked at the X-mid, High route, and Swift line in the past, but am thinking they are too small.

3. I have avoided looking at free-standing tents, mainly due to weight, but maybe I should look at a few.

Tent History

1. My first UL tent was an SMD solo. I loved the ease of use and ventilation. I am 6’2″ and found it a little cramped. I was in a bad storm in the Winds and while it held up, it leaked a bit and felt unstable.

2. My second tent was a Zpacks Hexamid. It felt a little spartan for me. I had it out in an early winter storm in Montana. It had a hard time shedding snow and the bathtub felt a bit constrictive. I also find I didn’t enjoy crawling out of it at my age. I did like how the DCF didn’t stretch.

3. Currently, I have a tarp, bivy, and bug bivy. I have realized I am not a bivy person no matter how hard I try.

Thanks for your help. The options out there can be overwhelming.

-J

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

MLD Doumid with a Solo inner should be a good choice.  If you don’t think it would have enough room, what about a Doumid XL ?  You’d have plenty of space for you, wet fishing gear, packraft, etc.  It’d be a bit heavier and have a larger footprint however.

I have the Solo X-Mid and agree it might be small for what you want, but the 2 person X-mid should have enough room.

Jason
    BPL Member

@oldschool75

Thanks, Brad. I like the idea of a duomid with a solo insert as long as it is wide enough for my mattress. I am tall, but wondering if I should start with the doumid then if I need more room, go up in size.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m 6′ and my ~2015 Doumid is fine.  I think Ron has made them a little longer and wider since then.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Check out Durston’s solo tent. At the top of my list of criteria is ‘protection’. I haven’t used one but they look bombproof. I think they’re fairly spacious but I forget the specs. Not dcf tho.

Jason
    BPL Member

@oldschool75

Thanks all, what about the Yama Cirriform 1P?

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

+1 YMG Cirriform 1P. Given your area, I recommend getting the SW instead of the DW. That said, it does cost quite a bit of coin.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Look at all the Tarptent solo designs. There has to be one for you among all those choices, either single or double wall silnylon.  My choice is the Moment DW. Great for 4 seasons as well and freestanding with the optional Crossing Pole.

Be sure to have TT do the seam sealing for a nominal extra charge unless you like to do that yourself using Sil Net sealant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools