Topic

Tenkara in the South

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara in the South

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lisa F
    BPL Member

@trailhermit

Locale: Down South

There hasn’t been much discussion here lately so I thought I would start a new topic.  I just received my first Tenkara rod from TenkaraUSA.com. It is so beautiful!!! I caught the last day of their sale and ordered the Iwana. I wish I would have ordered more than one rod now! The craftsmanship and packaging are top quality. I wish I could go try it out but at some point I decided it would make the perfect Christmas present for my husband who hates to carry much of anything. He loves Japanese culture, and I am hoping he will appreciate the philosophy behind tenkara.

I was wondering if anyone has tried tenkara in Louisiana, Mississippi, or Alabama? I originally ordered this for myself to tryout while backpacking. It reminds me of learning to fish with a giant cane pole as a child. That was out west though. I am a new transplant to the south, not too many mountains out here, but we sure have lots of rivers and creeks!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I think Tenkara is much easier in the clear lakes of the west.  I have been amazed how easy fishing in those lakes has been.  But I think it will work fine here in the southeast too.  The fishing generally just isn’t as good.

I learned with the old cane pole too, with corn or cheese on a hook.  It has some similarities but you have so much more ability to place to fly.

Good luck

Lisa F
    BPL Member

@trailhermit

Locale: Down South

Some of the creeks here are quite clear. Its been a while since I have fished. We always used earthworms. Imagine my surprise to see how small the hooks are!

Christopher W
    BPL Member

@bisleykid

Imo tenkara fishing the small tea colored streams here in Eastern NC for bluegill and other sunfish is almost as fun as clear mountain streams for trout. There is definitely a place for tenkara in warm water fishing.

Edgar H
    Spectator

@eh

Tenkara is about the lightest and most responsive of the telescoping rods,  but there’s a wide range of responsiveness and safe tippet strength.

I’m no great fisherman, but I’ve been having a great time with a little Keiryu rod that weighs 3 oz. and collapses to 15.5″
    <h3></h3>

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I just returned from central Mississippi. The fishermen are catching huge crappies in shallow water right off the side of the boat. The Tenkara would be ideal to be fishing the shallow backwaters of the Tombigbee River in the Columbus, MS area. I’m back in the northern waters of Illinois for doing the spring run of bass and crappie.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Think Big –

YouTube video

BTW, this is Daniel Galhardo, the founder of TeknaraUSA.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools