Topic

Tenkara Fishing Rods and Gear for Backpacking – Hane, Rhodo, Ito, Satoki, TF39TA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tenkara Fishing Rods and Gear for Backpacking – Hane, Rhodo, Ito, Satoki, TF39TA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Tenkara Fishing Rods and Gear for Backpacking – Hane, Rhodo, Ito, Satoki, TF39TA

In this video overview, I present the five rods that I’ve been using over the past few years for most of my backcountry tenkara fishing. They include four models from Tenkara USA (including the new Satoki) and one model from Tenryu (the TF39TA) that remains the staple of my kit. In addition, I’ll walk through the basic gear I use and take while tenkara fishing on hiking and backpacking trips.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Nice video Ryan. I had one of the original Hane rods. In fact it was my introduction to Tenkara. Then I met Chris Stewart and went in another direction. I ended up giving my Hane to a friend, Paul Vertrees, who lost his on a backpacking trip.

Steve Lamb
    Spectator

@stevesd

Locale: SoCal

Nice write up, Ryan.

I believe that the “Common Cents” method you refer to for assessing rod stiffness requires the rod to be stabilized (~ clamped) HORIZONTALLY, then the lillian (~ tip) to be loaded with pennies or equivalent until the tip DEFLECTS vertically ONE THIRD of the total rod length – as opposed to four feet regardless of the rod length.

Thanks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Steve – good catch. Article has been updated and the test result for the Satoki updated and changed in the table. Thanks!

Jeremy W
    BPL Member

@kbf64

I’ve tried tenkara, but I almost always want a reel… I wonder if anyone has a 3-d printed plastic reel for backpacking… I’ve recently tried the douglas upstream rods that are super light 1.1-2 oz.  I can imagine with maybe a 2oz reel to include a half length fly line, I would be “good to go” with fly fishing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools