Topic

Ten Lakes alternatives for Sept: less busy but similar?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ten Lakes alternatives for Sept: less busy but similar?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Spencer
    Spectator

@rozim

Locale: NorCal

I’m looking for an alternative to a Ten Lakes (Tuolumne / Yosemite) trip for Sept as the midweek day my buddy and I were targeting has no permits available — I just assumed that after Labor Day it would be easier.

Anyway, the general criteria we’re looking for, for a midweek start, in Sept, post-Labor Day, is:

• Scenic Sierras
    • Easy water access
    • Less traveled. I had a great trip earlier this summer, Florence Lake to Martha Lake, and it was wonderful once we veered off the JMT as we saw something like 1 person/day. I am comfortable hiking a bit off trail to a rarely used site with a nice view or along a river, but extensive class 2+ for this trip is not what we’re looking for.
    • 6-8 miles/day and not crazy days of climbing
    • Several hours drive from Bay Area. Need to rule out Desolation Wilderness as we have both been there plenty, but it would do otherwise.

thx,
    Dave

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Emigrant Wilderness from Crabtree Trailhead, all of the lakes around pingree and big lakes, big area with easy off trail travel, tons of lakes to explore.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools