Topic

Temporary lightweight light duty tether point

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Temporary lightweight light duty tether point

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I use these lightweight light duty tether points often when  experimenting with fabric projects such as packs, tents and clothing.   I’ve posted this before but can’t resist doing it again they work so well.

Simply a lightweight version of an old trick.

The Styrofoam ball and two zip locks weigh less than a gram.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If testing using expensive material , I would suggest to add a piece of fabric over the ball/pebble so that if any damage happens it may be restricted to that outside patch.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks.  I missed this the last time you posted it. I’ve long used and passed on the trick of using a smooth rock to create a tie-down point, but, yeah, let’s use lighter material when we can.  Ping-pong balls are also really light and quite strong (they can be smacked hard enough to reach 66 mph).  Pop bottle screw-top caps are not as spherical, but pretty smooth and are free in the trash or at the recycling center.  I usually bring an extra water-bottle cap in case I drop mine.

I’m trying to think of a multi-purpose option and can only come up with peanut M&Ms which are not so good in the rain.

R
    Spectator

@autox

I haven’t tried the following, but it’s been suggested you can tie a knot in the end of a cord and use that in lieu of your ball, then use the rest of the cord to tie off around the knot, trapping the fabric.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Better photo:

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Native Americans used smooth stone and leather straps to secure their hide covered wigwams to the ground. I wonder who taught them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools