Topic

Taxonomy. (notes from an overnight: 6/2 – 6/3/20).

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Taxonomy. (notes from an overnight: 6/2 – 6/3/20).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

There is something disorienting about an “outdoorsperson” being able to cite more outdoor gear manufacturers than birds, in knowing the local drive-thru’s menu better than one’s local edible plants. What does it mean to recognize the fleeting silhouette of a Toyota Forerunner but remain unable to name of the stalks of yellow flowers whose fragrance reminds you of that day you walked that coast with someone you love? To understand the evolution of bicycle braking systems or professional sports rosters better than one knows the history of the western gray squirrel who happens to be yelling at you from a branch?

Brilliant commentary.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Right on! @ Wisner. Wonderful essay / trip report. “No new gear 2012” was also very cogent.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I appreciate your thoughts on knowing a place. Still, I love exploring many places, and by doing so you only get to know so many trees, plants, birds; it’s fun to discover that you do know something in a new environment, like a Dipper in a stream, here in Alaska, in Canada, in the Sierra. Most hikers I think don’t really notice or care about these things, or at least they rarely discuss them on youtube or blogs or instagram posts. I gravitate toward those who may not know, but have at least interest in observing what is around them, from butterflies to spiders to trees or flowers.

I remember visiting national parks with my parents and attending campfire programs in the campgrounds, 1970s. The programs were almost always educational, learning about nature. I can’t stand to attend most campfire programs now; the ones I’ve attended in the last 10 years have been “infotainment,” with little actual knowledge imparted about the natural environment. Cute stories, jokes, and keep it all light, seems to be the format now. Nothing about evolution, that topic seems to be banned, nothing too “controversial,” like geology either.

There is opportunity though, with so many people getting interested in hiking, for people to learn about the places they are in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools