Topic

Tarptent help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent help

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Ok I scored big  today… classified sale of a tent that a very nice lady didn’t want. She had one picture of the bag in her add which said e-vent….asked her the brand she said well other side of stuff sack says sea to summit. I took a chance at 20$ and got this ….. 

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Can anyone tell me the model, or have a link/pdf for set up.

i went to website and it must be an older model … looks close to the motrail but not quite

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Looks like one of the earlier generations sold by TarpTent.  I cannot remember the model name. It evolved into the ProTrail/MoTrail product.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

That looks like a Virga 2.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

I agree, looks like an earlier gen., but looks in great shape.  Good score!

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Ah ha rain shadow2 thanks for everyone’s input

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

It looks a lot like my old Contrail, which as mentioned, evolved into the Protrail.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

I recoated it with silicone and left it up overnight … we had 30 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph 

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

One of my poles came loose and did this……but I can fix that easy all in all held up well to the wind

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

One of my poles came loose and did this…

Ouch … bummer.  Do you have to use them tip-up for this tent?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I had a rain shadow 2  14-15 yrs ago.  The side guys should not be pulled as tight as you have them very little pull and I’d angle the front corner pulls a little more forward and you should get a better pitch. Also it’s hard to tell as there is nothing beside it to judge size but looking at it I’d think maybe it’s a squall 2. The rain shadow 2 was huge and actually a three person the”2” stood for 2nd revision. If my gram weenie brain remembers correctly the RS2 weighed 41 oz with out poles or stakes. It was my first UL tent. My MSR zoid 1 p actually weighed more but I still used it solo over the RS 2 which was so big inside I got lonely by myself

Evan E.
    BPL Member

@evaneis12gmail-com-2

Locale: western Massachusetts

Looks like the Squall, discontinued several years ago. Greta buy for $20!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I second Mark R

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Although on second look if it has two poles that’s an rs2

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I’m thinking the squall 2 could use one or two poles as the RS 2 did also I’m waiting for Henry or Franco to set this straight

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

It does have an inverted T shaped zipper right down the middle and from side to side on the bottom

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

John how big is this tent would you say one, two or three man after looking at pics online I would not rule out  Dondo’s call that it’s a Virga 2, a solo tent, I didn’t remember the Virga becoming a Virga 2 probably cause the contrail was the talked about solo tent by then. The rear hoop does not look big enough to be a rain shadow 2 which was big enough that I could have slept across the width at the head of tent

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Mark, as I recall, the evolution of this type of Tarptent solo shelter was: Virga, Virga 2, Contrail, Protrail.  Before this, Henry offered the plans for his original tarptent for free on his site.

John, to narrow it down among the Virga 2, Squall 2, and Cloudburst 2, check out the interior space.  The Virga 2 was a 1+ person shelter, the Squall 2 was for two hikers, and the Cloudburst 2 was for three.

Whichever it is, Mark is right about setting the shelter up.  Angle the front corner guys more toward the front and ease up  at lot on the side guys.  You’ll get the shape of what the tent is supposed to look like by just using the front guys.  The side guys are just intended to prevent wind deflection.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Thanks guys, I’ll try your setup tips, and it easily accommodates two.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

In my post above, I meant to say Rainshadow 2;  the Cloudburst was obviously a very different tent.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools