Topic

Tarptent Notch Li mods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tarptent Notch Li mods

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

When one lays out $600. for a Dyneema solo tent one approaches mods to it with much care and planning.

I had, when ordering the gen. 2 model, asked Henry Shires to include some circles of Dyneema tape for reinforcing the fly hem so I could sew on stake loops. I folded them over the fly edge in 4 locations, 2 per side so there was reinforcement on both sides of the fabric. Then I cut larger circles of Tenacious Tape and folded them over theDyneema tape. (Belt & suspenders, ya know.)

Next was DYEING the inner tent wall. I chose “Parrot Green” RIT Dyemore, a dye for synthetic fabrics. To protect the Dyneema floor from the hot water of the dye I gathered the tent walls just above the floor tub “walls” with a tight cinch of cord. OK, OK, you old hippies know this is how you get “tie dye” effects – which is exactly what happened. :o( from the tub floor walls up about 8 to 10 inches is an “icicle” pattern of green and white. But hey, it gives the tent character. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  At least I have more shade inside the tent and more privacy in an otherwise translucent tent. And it is ready for high winds when all staked out.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Photos, please….

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

+1 on photos please.

Also, how hot was the water? Would love to know how hot water needs to be to damage DCF.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Photos! yes. Now that I’ve slept quite a few nights in my Notch Li, I am used to the transparency of it, and not bothered by it, so I probably wouldn’t dye it. But I’d like to see the photo of a tie-dyed Notch!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools