Topic

Tarptent announces new DCF Double Rainbow!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent announces new DCF Double Rainbow!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

I saw this on Reddit, and it linked to Tarptents instagram site.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_VPsbMl4jN/?igshid=128sa02fisbsy

Very Cool!

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Nice! Thanks for the heads-up.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

She’s a beaut, too! We’ll have our first impressions up tomorrow. Our sample is currently in the field suffering through the season’s first thunderstorms!

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Double Rainbow is a fantastic tent!  Excited to see the specs!   Thanks BPL for getting us your first impressions.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Double Rainbow Li page is now live –>

https://www.tarptent.com/product/double-rainbow-li/

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Finally!

If that has the 45in wide floor the stratospire li has then I’m all over it. Or the stratospire Li with dedicated poles… excited to see the specs too!

When I was thinking about building my own I figured the fly with the doors is about 9260 sq in and the bathtub floor another 5290 sq in. So given DCF between 0.5 and 1 oz/yd2 thats about 7.5 to 11 oz  without the poles, netting, and zippers, etc!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Interesting application of Dyneema in a radiused design, which is not easy to do correctly.

The Rainbow design is about the most versatile of all the Tarptents. And having been around for years it’s a proven tent.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Wow.  Simply a work of art.

Nicely done Henry and continued success.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

NM, availability is listed on the site.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Now if Henry would just downsize to the Single Rainbow….flat out the best tent design I’ve ever used.  (Big sigh)

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

28.6 ounces for a solo shelter isn’t that bad especially when you consider the space. It could handle solo or +1 trips too, which makes the $650 price almost a bargain! (Or, I’m just practicing my sales pitch to the wife.)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I suspect that around 1/3rd of the sil DR are bought for mostly solo use.

The two doors do appeal to a lot of solo users and the is why the Moment/SS 1 and notch have them.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m one of those folks who generally prefer 2-person shelters for the space and double doors. I’m highly interested in this shelter.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That carbon fiber pole might be bad for my blood pressure.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> Now if Henry would just downsize to the Single Rainbow….flat out the best tent design I’ve ever used.  (Big sigh)

Wont happen in 2020 but you aren’t the first person to ask..

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That’s a friggin Motel 6 room inside! Good space!

Yes, for us lonely ones on the trail (with a big smile on our face) a solo shelter that emphasizes weight might be appreciated.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

I asked Tarptent about using a aluminum pole instead of the carbon and they said it would fit but that they recommended using the carbon pole as it worked better with the tent structure.  Maybe they will have an option in the future to use aluminum.  I too have reservations about a carbon pole set as I’ve been in some crazy windstorms.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’ve heard DCF “handles” condensation differently than Sil-nylon? Is this possible?

In other words, would two Dbl Rainbow’s, one Sil-nylon, one DCF, set up in the same spot, with the same occupants (ie, all this being equal), handle condensation differently? If so, how would this manifest?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> I’ve heard DCF “handles” condensation differently than Sil-nylon? Is this possible?

My experience is that there’s no magic to DCF with respect to condensation. It suffers condensation as do all other fabrics in the right/wrong combination of temperature and humidity.  What is better about DCF is that doesn’t hold onto water and wipes/air dries a bit faster.  I can’t emphasize enough the importance of pitch location. Camping under trees shuts down the radiation process into deep space at night and can make all the difference.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> I asked Tarptent about using a aluminum pole instead of the carbon and they said it would fit but that they recommended using the carbon pole as it worked better with the tent structure.

Yes, with this pattern implementation that is true. DCF in an arch pole design is very unforgiving of variations in arch pole curvature.  Aluminum flexes a bit differently than carbon, especially this really light and flexible carbon pole, and there’s no way to stretch the fabric out to account for the differences.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools