Topic

Tarptent Aeon Li

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Aeon Li

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Locale: PNW

I am an older solo backpacker. I’m currently using the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1, which I like but I don’t love. My two main issues with it are its weight, compared  to its livable space and vestibule, and the challenges with setting it up during highwinds/rain.   I’ve been looking at different dynema Single person tents and am leaning towards the Tarptent Aeon Li. Looking for any thoughtful opinions on this tent or similar alternatives. Thanks!

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

https://backpackinglight.com/tarptent-aeon-review-li-tent/

heres a first looks review ryan jordan did on the aeon a couple years ago, might help with your decision making.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I own one. It’s a nice tarp/tent. But doubt it would be much if any easier to set up in the wind. And I don’t think it would be great in high winds. I prefer the Notch Li in significant winds as it has tie-out points at the peak in both directions (Aeon only one direction)

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I’ve owned one since late 2019.  I’m 58 years old, 5’9″ and 155 lbs.  Not my favorite tent.  Yes….it’s really light, but I don’t find that it has a lot of interior space.  I also find it difficult to reach the vestibule zipper.  My back always hits the inside top of the vestibule. …and that sucks when it’s wet.  You have to be a contortionist to reach that zipper.

The pocket drives me nuts.  It opens on the side.   Everything in the pocket falls out if I bump it while I’m moving around.  This has happened many times.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I would lean toward the Notch LI. I have a friend who had the Aeon, sold it has the Notch and really likes it. I really like the vestibule area. I would pick one up if I needed another tent..

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

Similar experience, bought and sold Aeon and went with Notch Li.  It’s hard to beat the weight of the Aeon but in the end I much happier with double wall, dual vestibules, being able to sit straight up in the Notch.  Also agree it’s more stable.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

As a practical matter, the Aeon Li and Notch Li aren’t available right now, TT is taking a waiting list but not actual back orders so who knows when you could get one.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

As an old fart of 59, I’ve  been using the TT Protrail LI for about 1.5 years. Aside from the front entry which some folks dispise, I marvel at the functionality, space and ability to sit fully upright while fiddling around with my stuff. I love this tent and wish I was as smart as Henry Shires to configure something this great.

Noisy above tree line in the wind but good as any from a pitch standpoint.

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

I was considering one of the blemished options as I don’t care about form as much as structure

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Awesome place to start, thanks!

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

I could see that they would be similar, although I believe less challenges setting it up in the wind, but it Has to be much better setting it up in the rain than dealing with a footprint/tent body/rain shell/poles and grommets

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ve used my cuben Aeon on almost all my trips the past 2 summers (examples below) and I have really enjoyed it. It is probably the least fussy shelter I have ever owned in terms of pitching. I’m really picky about the weather when doing my trips (again, refer to the examples) so I have not had it out in very challenging conditions; only 1 really windy night and 1 really rainy night. Given those caveats, so far have not seen the single-wall construction as an issue. You gain a fair bit of interior volume given the same size canopy when you ditch the liner. The ability to totally open the vestibule is fantastic when the weather allows. That said, if I knew I were going to face serious wind or extended rain, I would probably take my cuben Duomid with Solomid liner. My Aeon is my ‘fair weather’ shelter.

Example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5, example 6, example 7, example 8, etc.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

I’d just like to add a couple of things here.

First, DWR D: In heavy weather, I deploy TWO lines from the top apex tieout, running down to the ground to form a triangle. While the lines cannot be deployed at 180 degrees from each other, the triangular formation in the front is very stable.

Second: I really admire how Henry designed the Aeon Li to avoid stress on the DCF as much as possible. This is a real problem with DCF over the long term as stress causes the mylar layer to deform. The panels on three sides of the Aeon Li are cut perfectly and there are no weirdly located tieouts that cause stress. The only stress point that causes wrinkling and deformation is at the lineloc on the front door.

Speaking of the front door, I have a front door without a zip (first version) that has been modified to include linelocs on both door panels. This also really helps in strong wind.

Overall, the tent is incredibly easy to pitch. In terms of weather resistance, I think it compares favorably to a standard rectangular DCF mid like the MLD Duomid which I’ve also used quite a bit in similar conditions.

The more I use it, the more I like it.

Chris Donovan
    BPL Member

@hikerdonovan

I used my Notch Li last week in RMNP for a week. It’s a “blem” tent, though you wouldn’t notice the blem. 2 nights ago I slept in my Copper Spur UL 1 here in the Ozarks. It’s my overnight tent where weight isn’t an issue that I have enjoyed it for about a year now.  Additionally, I used the Aeon Li last year in RMNP for a week then a bit more in the Ozarks and quickly decided to sell it. So, I know the tents you are considering and this thread includes. The BA definitely weighs more than is practical for a long distance hike, while the Aeon is tight inside and will be a problem in significant winds. I had to replace all the lines with longer ones, and used longer stakes because it is a kite in storms as it is. Then I couldn’t get over sleeping with the tent inches from my nose and the foot end of my bag contacting the tent.

The Copper Spur is cavernous and the pockets are glorious as compared to the Notch and Aeon. The Aeon’s greatest appeal is on my spreadsheet. When I look at that weight I get excited…then I get to camp and dream of my Copper Spur (or my own DIY project).  Also, I have come to enjoy my 25″ wide Exped pad. Not the one that tapers, but the one that is rectangular. It won’t fit properly in my Notch and I doubt it would fit in the Aeon. You aren’t old until you use a 25″ pad btw :).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

So, Chris…how do you like the NOtch? That’s more or less my aspirational tent at the moment. I mean, I’d buy that if I were buying a tent.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

That’s funny. I use a cut down Xlite RW (25″) pad inside the Aeon Li with no trouble.

Chris, you mention that the Aeon Li is “tight inside and will be a problem in significant winds.” Is that a problem with deflection making inside space even tighter? That’s not been my experience so I’m curious to know. I’m 170cm (5’7″). I’ve found the Aeon Li to perform well in wind. The profile is actually much lower than other single pole Mids that I’ve tried. That low profile plus the pitchlocs and well cut panels makes for wind resistant design. But it is tight inside.

Chris Donovan
    BPL Member

@hikerdonovan

jscott- If I were to leave on a long distance hike tomorrow, I would take my Notch Li. That said, I wish it were a bit bigger. Particularly the end walls. They should be 6″ taller and wider to accommodate my 25″ pad and give me some space to have stuff beside me. Believe it or not,  I had the audacity to ask Henry if he could make this just for me…needless to say he said the cost would be ridiculous. So despite the fact I don’t even own a sewing machine I am going to try my hand at making my own tent that combines the basic design of the Notch along with the pockets of the Copper Spur.

Jon- The Xlite has rounded corners, whereas my preferred Exped is a true rectangle. Deflection not so much. I had issues with the stakes being pulled out in winds. Separately, it is tight inside.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve run the Aeon Li for three years now (probably 40-50 nights)- three season use (including some snow, albeit not a lot).  When guyed out fully (and with rocks on the stakes) I’ve been through some very windy conditions (one night it was so bad I didn’t get much sleep, but the shelter held strong).

I’ve never had any condensation in all those night.  I find it has plenty of room for my 5’11” 180-ish frame, the vestibule is roomy enough for a pack and shoes.

I’d highly recommend this solo shelter.

I don’t think there is a lighter, more livable solo shelter out there- mine is 17-ish ounces all in.  I don’t see anything that has even tempted me to consider another solo shelter.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I’ve posted this photo before but am posting again because it shows quite well the lack of stress on the main panels even when pitched tightly. Deformation due to stretching and stress along the bias is the bane of DCF tents and design plays a huge role in that. Henry deserves credit for designing a DCF Mid without stress along the bias on at least 3 of 4 sides (kinda unavoidable on the front door, though).

I use and love other solo three season shelters (currently rocking silpoly mids from Tipik and a DCF octagon from the late Jumperhome) but definitely share Mike’s enthusiasm for the Aeon Li.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools