Topic

Tarp ridgeline clips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tarp ridgeline clips

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

When pitching a flat tarp, I prefer setting up a standalone ridgeline first, then attaching the tarp to it, and finally staking the perimeter guylines to the ground.

This has several advantages, most importantly it makes the structure significantly stronger. It’s also easier to pitch the tarp this way, especially solo, and even in a wind.

This approach requires some means of attaching the tarp to the ridgeline, and preferably this connection should be adjustable, for finding the best spot on the ridgeline first and then tensioning the tarp.

Until now, I used little loops with a toggle bar to connect the tarp to the ridgeline with a prussik knot. I was looking for solution that would be simpler to use and can be connected permanently to the tarp.

Here’s what I came up with – a little 3D-printed clip that slides along the ridgeline but cams securely when tensioned.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like the design very much.

Have you tested it to failure? How’s the strength? What material are you printing?

I have not been impressed with the strength of 3D printed objects in weight-bearing applications. They can come apart between layers and can bend over time. They have excellent compressive strength.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Cool.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools