Topic

Tarp camping with dogs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tarp camping with dogs?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Greg Deitrick
    BPL Member

@gld123

Its cabin fever time in Texas as it is still unpleasantly hot outside.

I camp with 2 65 lb busy dogs, mostly in the gulf coast. Hiking is on trails, easy walking except for logs and ditches. Because of the dogs it works best to keep moving; I set up just before dark and pack up as soon as there is light.

I’m thinking of trying a 5×9 tarp and trying to imagine how that is going to work.

A half pyramid pitch looks most appealing to me.

I plan to use a water resistant bivy to keep bugs and stuff from dirty wet dogs out of my sleeping space. I can’t imagine doing without the bivy, because of the bugs and because of the dogs. The first thing a dog does when it comes in out of the rain is shake off.

I imagine that for setup and takedown in the rain I’m probably going to want a sit pad or piece of plastic to kneel or sit on as I transition between my (hopefully) clean/dry sleeping space and wet/dirty environment-at-large.

Would be helpful or overkill to use a poncho tarp for rain gear, in addition to the shelter tarp? On that first night I’m out in heavy rain with a bit of wind am I likely to want the extra space and protection?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools