Topic

Tape for tyvek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tape for tyvek

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

What kind of tape could I buy from the hardware store to tape tyvek together so that the places where there is tape is pretty strong? I want to try to make a bathtub floor out of tyvek.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Diane: You need to buy Tyvek tape. Any building supply that sells Tyvek sells it.

You can also get in on Amazon in 2 inch and 3 inch widths and various lengths.

I re-purpose the large Tyvek envelopes and use the tape to build little bags and pouches, for tent pegs for example.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Tyvek Tape

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Thank you! I will look for that. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it but I don’t haunt the tape aisle at the hardware store very often.

I like your idea of re-purposing mailing envelopes.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Not as strong as the official Tyvek tape, but I’ve had good luck for Tyvek wallets and such with just package-sealing tape.  I only buy name-brand stuff – 3M, USPS, and Duck Tape all work fine.  Gorilla Glue/Tape makes some killer clear sealing tape that’s very sticky but overly thick for UL backpacking, although I’ve used it to tape the fender back on my car.

Off topic, but clear package-sealing tape renders a piece of paper fairly waterproof.  I print all my phone numbers, contact info, etc, in 4-point font, on a laser printer then apply sealing tape to both sides.  It can then take quite a dunking, still be readable and is inherently dead-battery-, impact-, EMF-pulse-, and Y2K-proof.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The double sided 3M tape that comes with the Frost King patio door sealing kit (which is polycro and big enough to make two ground sheets) works great.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

In my experience, Tyvek tape is very sticky, but it easily tears – kind of like scotch tape. It’s good for taping sheets together on houses because the sheets are only subjected to being pulled apart in a single direction- if at all. If I wanted to, I could easily tear the Tyvek tape in half.

I don’t think I’d use it for attaching two pieces together for a ground sheet. The folding and unfolding (and general wear) would cause it to split.

It’s possible the Zip tape might work better, or ripstop repair tape.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Well, my plan is to make a bathtub floor.

I wouldn’t be surprised of my hardware store doesn’t have tyvek tape. I have bad luck with packing tape not really sticking to materials that aren’t paper, so I will see what they have.

I’m planning to make it like this, but with tyvek instead of fabric. If it ends up not really working or coming apart in the field, I won’t die or anything. It’s just a ground sheet.

I like to try to think up little projects for every trip I plan and try out something new each time.  The planning part makes the adventure seem to last longer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools