Topic

Talon 22 for backcountry daypack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Talon 22 for backcountry daypack?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Timothy H
    BPL Member

@herdtjh

First time in this forum. Stoked to be a part! I recently switched from an Aether 60L to the Gregory Baltoro 85L for my extended backcountry trips. The Aether worked for just me, but when I bring my 2 boys I have to carry some of their weight. My question is on daypacks… I’ve previously used the osprey daylite because it attached conveniently to the outside of the Aether, but the Gregory internal daypack is worthless. I’m looking at the osprey talon 22, mainly because the back panel is flexible and low profile enough that it lies pretty flat in the pack, minimizing room, but allows me to comfortably bear the weight on excursions off base camp so the boys can run and enjoy themselves. I’m flip-flopping between that and the more minimal REI flash, which makes more sense on the room/weight front, but lacks comfort and flexibility… Any thoughts? Other suggestions, etc. I’m hesitant to pull the trigger due to the large size if the talon… It’s just so darn comfortable.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’ve used an Osprey Stratos 24 for years as a day pack.  It was the right size for me and very comfortable.  I also liked the arching frame, although I often mounted my water bladder in that space that might have reduced air flow.  In general that pack didn’t deliver the air flow I expected because it seemed like the the sides still contacted by back.

I also found that it wasn’t big enough for me.  24 liters should be enough but it was a long curving space, so bulky items filled up the space inefficiently.  The Talon may pack better.  I would take your stuff to REI and see how it packs.

It is also a very heavy pack for it’s size.  Mine weighs in at 41 oz?  Significantly More than my ULA multi-day backpack.  I’m not carrying that much, but still – that’s a lot.  I think the Talon is less than 2 lbs.

So I ended up picking up a used Zimmerbuilt Quickstep here on BPL.  It’s a completely different type of pack, much bigger than I need and no frame structure whatsoever – no hip belt either.  The pack weighs less than 10oz.  It’s 2 lbs lighter than my Stratos.  I use water bottles with a hydration tube instead of the bladder and saved a little more weight there.  Done and done!

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use my daughters kids osprey jet 18 for day hikes from base camp on a backpacking trip.

What is your pack weight like that you need a 85L pack even with 2 boys coming along?  I just don’t see the justification of bringing a second 2lb pack along for day hikes.  Perhaps a drybag with straps at less than 8oz.

That said the Talon is a fine day pack for hiking but not compactable enough to use on a backpack trip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools