Topic

Talk to me about mats for active side sleepers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Talk to me about mats for active side sleepers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I just got back from a trip that was great except the sleep!

I’m thinking I need to go to a wide mat. Everytime I’m on a 20″ I feel like I’m going to fall off when I roll over. I like to sleep on my sides, yes both of them.

So I’m looking at the following and need input from anyone who uses them or is a side sleeper.

Neoair xtherm large and maybe go crazy and cut it down from 77 to 72.

Nemo tensor

Exped Synmat HL MW

Ideally would like to use all 4 seasons even if it’s supplementing with  CCF pad in cold weather.  Ro note I’ve used a neoair  xlite in the mid to high 20s with no issues of feeling the cold from the ground

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’m a side sleeper, and I move around constantly.  I also have a bad habit of sleeping exactly on my side, which can lead to some severe neck/shoulder pain the next morning, even if I’m on a nicely-supportive mattress/pillow at home.  My solution is a 25″-wide inflatable pad about 3.5″ thick that’s not inflated to the max, and a pillow at similar pressure.  I shoot for about 80% inflation because that’s a good balance between firm support and soft cradling, and it’s that cradle effect that keeps me from moving around.  The lower inflation in the pillow also helps to support my neck, which leads to fewer pains the next day.  I’ve also used a second pillow between the knees to help with lower back pain, and that has an additional not-move-around effect.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve been called a rotisserie sleeper by People Who Should Know.

And I’ve also tried mats from thin, torso-length foam, to my now-favorite Nemo Tensor Insulated Wide long. Though I wish it was warmer; next pad might be the Nemo Tensor Alpine.

Tried some Therm-a-Rest Neoair’s, but couldn’t get past the crinkling noise with every movement. Latest models are supposed to be a little quieter.

Never tried an Exped pad, no opinion.

Cutting down a 77 inch pad to 72 inches might save about 6% of the weight, or 1.3 ounces on a large XTherm. With some work and risk involved.

Look into R-values, too. Sleeping bag temperature ratings are based on R 4.8 pads underneath you. Anything less, and you’ll probably sleep colder.

Therm-a-Rest testing found that 80% pad inflation drops the R-value by a fair amount. I can pump my Nemo quite hard, and sleep great. The Nemo also keeps me from rolling off or squishing the long edges far better than the Neoairs.

YMMV.

— Rex

Larry Swearingen
    BPL Member

@larry_swearingen

Locale: NE Indiana

I am a Rotisserie Side Sleeper.

The best air pad I ever used, except it had no R-Value, was an Air beam Sleeper Wide.

Bought in 2013 from Gossamer Gear. It was wide and short and light.

I think it was about 26″ wide at the shoulder and tapered down towards the bottom.

It was longitudinal tubes with two larger tubes on the outside to keep you from rolling

off easily.  I think it was about 4 1/2 feet long but that didn’t matter since I sleep

with my knees pulled up. It was made by Klymit in Taiwan.

The only thing that I didn’t like was that it had no insulation so I did soend a few

cold nights on it in April down in the Gila river canyon in New Mexico.

It developed a slow leak after about 3 years and I replaced it with a Klymit

Insulated Static V Lite.   It’s heavier and doesn’t have the longitudinal tube design

as the air-beam sleeper but it is 23″x72″ and has good insulation.

But it works for me. I have thought about cutting it down shorter but don’t have any experience with working with sealing the plastic end.

I tried the cross-wise tube design of the Neo Airs and don’t like them. When I roll over

close to the edge they just throw me off onto the ground. I don’t like an air matress inflated

hard but will partially deflate until it’s comforable.

Larry S

Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

I’m a side sleeper as well. I used to do the rotisserie, (Hahaha, I’ll have to use that) like the others here.. A wide and thick pad was the answer for me. Went with the Sea to Summit Either light Women’s Large. Its 72 x 25, with a 4″ thickness and 3.5 R value, 21oz.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

One thing I like about the exped is the wide mummy shapes and they have a wide range of R values

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

In some ways I am loathed to admit this but…the mat that seems to work the best for me is just a closed cell foam pad taken with a Tylenol PM before turning in.  I’m a committed side sleeper and that pill stops my turning from one side to another and usually results in me waking up to the sunshine.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I like my BA q-core SL. It is decently thick, warm, and reasonably light. It also has bigger baffles on the outside to keep one centered on the pad. The SLX is the newer version but it is not much different. It started out loud but seems to have gotten quieter over time. Or I am just used to it.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I’ve had good luck with the Klymit Luxe (Massdrop version). Still trying to dial in a good pillow. Just started playing with the ZPacks one. I normally hammock due to being uncomfortable on the ground so I’ll take a weight penalty for a comfy pad like the Luxe.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

I like my BA QCore insulated pad. Newer versions are warmer than years past. However my family has had too many puncture issues with BA.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX_2

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Coincidental, you saying that: the only punctures I’ve ever had are all on Big Agnes pads.  Correlation isn’t causation by any means, though.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I’m also a rotisserie sleeper though i seem to eventually end up on my left side and often wake on my back and yes had trouble staying on the mat or at least enough that deep sleep was compromised

Anyway I moved up to the xtherm wide which is also really long and that took care of that.

But the length bothers me. Takes up a LOT of unnecessary and valuable space. Why can’t we get a wide pad (25″) with good R numbers that isn’t the length of a runway for a 747?. I’ve considered Claiborne’s option but the 3.5R  is a little low for an all-season mat and considering the cost….

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@obxcola

This is why I’m seriously looking at exped mats, high R with 25″wide and 72″ long not 77″

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

It’s super easy to trim and reseal Neoair pads. I’ve done three of them. No leaks. Iron on high and take your time (not too much time or you’ll melt it). Easy peasy.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Another tosser and turner here. I’m in agreement with those who like the Tensor – insulated, wide, regular length. The Xtherm wide is nice also, and warmer, but something about how the Tensor feels when fully inflated – firm, flat and quiet. Honestly it’s like a foam mat in this way, but I sleep better on it than foam.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

190lb wide shouldered side sleeper here. My shoulder and hips bottom out easily.  Tried lots of pads-slept horribly. Neoair large was the first time I slept nearly through the night. Wife is side sleeper as well and has zero complaints on the Neoair regular size.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I hate to be that guy but I often sleep better in a hammock than on a pad. I’m a side-sleeper at home and on a pad but find myself comfortable on my back in a hammock. YMMV

That said, I have been tempted to try something other than an XLite for trips where I am on the ground.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@rocko99

What pads have you tried?

I could sleep on a regular if I didn’t turn over or attempt to sleep on my back. My shoulders would easily hang off

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m a violent side sleeper.  I bought the S2S Ether Light xt size large.  For three seasons it has given me some of the best nights of sleep.  Sadly it’s not a fourth season pad (it’s not advertised to be) and even combining it with a CCF pad doesn’t make it suitable for when the ground is frozen.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the X – T h e r m Max (rectangular) size Large.  I’ll eventually buy it and use it all four seasons.  Regardless of what pad you’re using, I think it’s wise to bring a foam pad in the winter as some added insurance.  Pads can and will freeze up, air leaks happen, etc.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I’ve been using the Xlite in “wide” due to the horizontal baffles.   May go with an Xtherm eventually if I get back into winter  camps.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@uahiker ZLite regular and SOL, Klymit Static V, Static V Luxe, multiple Thermarest self inflating from late 90’s(Hiker, Pro?)-our families collection, varying thicknesses. A few other friends pads I can’t recall the names. I never slept well on any of them.

I stopped looking after Neoair Xlite. Originally got the regular size. I didn’t like my arms not fitting on the pad so I got the wide-it is perfect for me. I also don’t know why people complain about the noise-I heard none.

Scott S
    BPL Member

@seascout

Josh, I’m also a rotisserie sleeper, and I’ve really enjoyed my Exped Synmat HL MW. I’m 5’9” and I had the BA QCore 20”. The difference between having to rotate in place to switch to the other side (QCore), versus just simply rolling over (Exped) completely changed my sleep experience. And if you get the MW and can cope with the slightly narrower foot section, it weighs less than 15 oz. I also use the pump sack as my pack liner.

I also use the 1/8” Thinlight, which cuts way, way down on noise from your pad squeaking against your tent floor. Completely worth the 1.6 ounces.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

@seascout

Scott, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!  I’ve been sleeping on a neoair mummy so I don’t think it should be a problem.  Great idea on the pad! Where did you get tour pad from? Gossamergear or MLd?

Scott S
    BPL Member

@seascout

Hi, Josh. I got the Thinlight from GG. (I got the mattress direct from Exped). I think it’s lighter than the MLD one. I wasn’t getting it for extra R value so the less dense GG version was fine for my needs. My only caveat on the Exped is I’m relatively thin (145 lbs.) but if you’ve a similar build I think you’ll like it.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Sounds good. I’m 6ft, 175lbs so I think I’ll give it a go and I can always return.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools