Topic

Taking the Kids on a 10 Mile Hike and Finding a Campsite with Views

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Taking the Kids on a 10 Mile Hike and Finding a Campsite with Views

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Companion forum thread to: Taking the Kids on a 10 Mile Hike and Finding a Campsite with Views

Took 2 of my kids to Harriman for a short 10 mile hike on Friday and we found a great spot to camp with pretty amazing views…

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Dirtbag,
    Hell yeah… way to get the kids out. I take my girls on day hikes they are 2 and 5. We have a lot of fun and it’s a lot of work for me lol I hope to take them on their first overnight this summer. When I see people take their kids it makes me happy.

Cheers and happy weekend,

Hope W

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Nice! Spot looks familiar. What a great “gift” to be able to get outside with the kids for an overnight.

The clips with your tarp next to the hammocks illustrate why I have a hard time getting on board with the bivy/tarp combo. As a tall dude, it’s such a pleasure to just walk up, sit in the hammock and be asleep in a few moments versus having to crawl into the bivy/tarp. Horses for courses, I know!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Hope..yes I have always taken all 3 of my kids out with me since they were very very young. My oldest daughter, now 21 decided years ago that it was not her thing, and that is fine. My son, now 17 has always been coming out with me since he was about 6 years old. Though school and sports and work keep him from coming out every time I go, he still finds the time and enjoys it very much. My youngest daughter, now 16 has been out 3 or times over the years, and she really does have a great time.. Even said on our way home from this trip, ” I may be a hiker girl now”, lol!  Yes it is a lot of work, I will say at that young age yes, but even as mine are older now. Well, my son is capable of handling himself fine. He can carry all his own gear, pack and unpack, even set up and break down is entire hammock set up.. and he can hike long miles. My daughter, well now.. I had her pack all her gear and she was lolly gagging about.. Ho hum. Then my son and I set up her hammock and tarp and quilts. We even had to break down her entire camp, but again.. She packed herself up. I get it.. She never really comes out much, so its all foriegn to her. She too, can hike long miles though so that’s nice. But yes, it is a lot of work for me, just knowing I have to keep them Both safe out there!! That’s my responsibility, keep them safe and give them excitement and fun. I have no problem taking them out of their comfort zone while out there, or anywhere.. But at the end of the day I want them to Love it as much as I do and I want them to keep going out there.. Even on their own without me.

@Bob
    .. No doubt.. Hammocks are comfortable and convenient.. But like I have said before, I found my comfort back on the ground.. That connection to mother nature and earth..  Very very rarely do I have to pitch the tarp that low.. And when I do, like this time.. I kneel down, get in and fall right asleep.. From 9:15 pm until 6:30 am.. Slept like a baby..

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks, as always, for posting.  At one point your daughter gives you a look that, I swear, EVERY father knows.  I just have four daughters and I’ve taken them all backpacking.  Some of my girls like it more than others, but your videos always inspire me.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Agree with the above sentiments, nice trip! Thanks for sharing again.

Man, I miss Harriman. I haven’t been there in 10+ years since we left NYC. Is it still safe to call it a gem? It’s so close to a megacity yet so quiet much of the time; such an aesthetically pleasing mix of woodland, open views, glacially scoured boulders and slabs (as pictured in your vid) and water. Like a mini-Maine or something. OK, maybe that’s pushing it. But the shelters add a nice option and of course, the Thruway provides a dramatic boundary, especially at night! : )

Are mountain bikers allowed there? Have they carved up the trails yet?

Do they require overnight permits now or is it still dispersed and unregulated?

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Yes, Chris, it’s a gem. But not exactly Acadia! The park saw a dramatic uptick in visitors during Covid. though most parked at the most accessible spots and only ventured so far into the woods. If you’re familiar with the park and trails, then you just go where you know other people won’t be bothered to hike to!

I think there’s one trail designated for bikes and you have to get to it from Anthony Wayne, IIRC. There are plenty of cyclists on the road and some people bike pack up from NYC and then push their bikes along the hiking trails to get to the lean-tos or designated camp spots, or they ‘wild camp.” I’m not sure how prevalent that is now that the pandemic is over (0ne guy had a Youtube channel documenting his law breaking in this arena!).

Designated lean-to and camping spots. No wild camping. That’s the rule. The practice is something else entirely. If I were to generalize, I’d say that there’s a fair amount of wild camping that falls into two categories: (1) laziness (don’t want to walk far) or desire to be at a scenic place for which there is no designated camp site 0r (2) experienced campers who want to be left alone and not share a crowded site with a group that took over the lean-to.  I’m in the #2 group. With a hammock, you can basically walk off a trail, find a pair of trees and disappear. I go camping to quiet my mind, so I don’t want to be 50 feet from a lean-to filled with people having a loud night or smoking pot.

If there’s one drawback to the park, it is its accessibility from the city, so on a nice weekend there can be competition for the lean-tos and sites, particularly the ones less than a mile from a main parking lot. I prefer the non-peak seasons: parking is easier, fewer people means fewer eyes on dispersed camping and the people are there to hike and camp, not party.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like it has evolved like a lot of other places, with more visitation overall. I seem to recall camping near the shelters, near enough anyway, and not really seeing anyone else. Definitely went more in the off season though!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes i tend to stay far away from the lean to. Usually I will go off trail and make my own stealth camp, No fires, and LNT!!  I will also camp in spots that are “camp sites”.. never had any problems or issues and I will always leave it cleaner then when i arrive.. though most of the sites I chose are usually well cared for and not that impacted. Saturday and Sunday you will see plenty of other hikers.   During the week not so much.. again Depends on weather and season..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Back to the “hard and a lot of work” part. So I finally just finished drying all the gear and checking all the gear and guy lines and putting it all away. It poured hard all day yesterday,  so I was limited to my basement with dehumidifier running.. i usually like to pitch all tarps and hang hammocks outside in the sun for a few hours to air them out and dry.. then I can also inspect everything for any damage or wear and tare.. so today after a full day of field hockey tournaments, i still had a few hours of sunshine and daylight.. so I had to pitch 3 tarps and hang 2 hammocks. Thats another issue with packing up in the rain or in the mist.. and doing it ×3.. its a lot of work. When I go solo.. its simple easy and not much at all. Thankfully they both help me unpack and lay everything out.. but in the end.. today I had to do my final inspection and sunshine air dry. I love all of my gear and take the best care of it possible.  No I most certainly do not baby it at all. I use the $h!T out of what I use.  I put it through the wringer and push it all to its limits, but at the end of the day, it has to be trustworthy for my needs and has to work everytime I need it, so I always take care of it and inspect it and dry it. I dont mind getting it dirty.. nkt at all.. but it has to stored properly and in perfect working condition.  I also. Before any trip.. take out whatever I plan to use/pack.. and set it up again outside.. and again inspect it all.. make sure its ready to go. OCD a little..  but its good habit and keeps my on point with pitching and breaking down..

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

That young lady will be out-hiking you in no time! They both look pretty strong. Nothing better than lying on a warm rock in the sunshine, no need for any other entertainment. Good job – they’ll never forget these experiences!

Is that a Smartwater bottle with the steripen? I never thought of doing it that way, makes total sense.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes, she already pretty much can out hike me,  and i hope she keeps going!!! They both play sports and they both go to gym and eat a nutritious diet, and they do all of this without force or pressure from us. I always feel that is one of my greatest accomplishments of being a parent. Its not always about spoiling them with money, gifts and materialistic things.

Yes that is the Steripen Ultra that I use with a 1L smartwater bottle. I usually carry 2 bottles.  One of them i keep my black duct tape rolled around.. and that is my dedication “dirty water” bottle. I use that bottle to fill.. then I Steripen that and pour it into the other “clean water” bottle. It used to be just my winter system,  but about 3 years ago I decided I liked it better then sawyer squeezing and BeFree squeezing.. so started using it year round and thoroughly enjoying it!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools