Topic

T-Limit query on my new parka? MH Absolute Zero

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) T-Limit query on my new parka? MH Absolute Zero

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I admit to being a little arithmetic challenged on this question.

But in the XL size with 610 grams of 850FP treated down. Assuming I wear the following layers underneath.

Base layer. The Patagonia Everyday long sleeve + a Patagonia Cap2 T-shirt + my Montane UL windshirt

Patagonia Grid fleece hoodie and possible a matching windproof

Possibly also the Patagonia Nano-Bivvy as it does fit inside easily

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If Mountain Hardwear’s naming is accurate, then you should be good to -459 F.

In seriousness though, 610g is 21.5oz of 850 FP which is equivalent (roughly) to 22.8oz of 800 FP down. That’s a lot. That’s the same as my winter 0F rated sleeping bag, but spread over just your torso instead of your whole body. Plus you’d presumably be more active when using it, then I am in my sleeping bag. I think you’d probably fair pretty well at -40F presuming the rest of your outfit was appropriate.

For another point of reference, my winter parka has 6-7oz of high end down and I’m pretty happen using that to about 10F.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

The torso has a greater loft than the sleeves in this parka so I was hesitant to simply use the free loft as a direct guide and I think my Clo calculation of ~ 12Clo is/was way off. This parka is only an XL so I am limited in my midlayers to the R1 hoody plus something about as thin.

Something this big replaces two or three of the layers in a traditional system so I’m not quite sure how to dress for my trip if I’m going to rely on this for my static layer.

I purchased partly because the price was too good to pass on, and I could find nothing that would fit over a Patagonia DAS except for the PCU L-7 over parka I already own but people were telling me was very heavy for the weight/warmth ratio

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools