Topic

T-105: Rim Trail, Cloudcroft NM

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning T-105: Rim Trail, Cloudcroft NM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Locale: Central Texas

I’m looking at planning a trip to hike the northern portion of the Rim Trail (T-105) south of Cloudcroft, NM the week before Memorial Day in May.

We are some old guys (66-76) who want something relaxed. We plan to start at Atkinson Field and hike north to Cloudcroft taking two days. Here is a map of my thinking so far.

Here are my questions:

• Is FSR 640, The Atkinson Canyon Road, drivable by 2WD, high clearance vehicles?
    • Is there good camping in the vicinity of Atkinson Field?
    • Is Atkinson Field generally a safe place to leave a vehicle for a couple of days? How about vehicle safety at the northern trailhead parking area near Deerhead Campground?
    • How are my water caché locations? Are there any better choices?
    • Trail Camp 2 is in a small valley just west of Rim Trail Parking Area #4. Can 5 people find a campsite in this area? Are there any better alternatives?
    • Is there anything else I haven’t thought of or should consider?

Okay all you New Mexico and Cloudcroft hikers out there. I know there are many of you that can advise me on this hike. If you want to look at my hike data in more detail, PM me through Backpacking Light and I can send you a link to my GaiaGPS data.

Thanks,

~Mart (Broome)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools