Topic

Synthetic top quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

Can anyone suggest a 50 degree synthetic quilt I can put over a 30 degree katabatic gear quilt, to wic moisture and add warmth in cold temps.  Any suggestions Temps. Size or ways to attach or keep the quilt on top of me at night.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I have a custom EE Enigma (APEX) – 50 *F, regular length (adjust as needed), wide width (since it’s an overquilt), 7d fabrics. They offer a very good strap integration system with their other quilts, to attach 2 layers of quilts together. It works really well. I also use it with non-enlightened bags/quilts, and the stock straps that came with my overquilt have never really been an issue for keeping the overquilt in place. Mine weighs a hair over 10 ounces.

I use mine with a Katabatic Chisos (40 deg F rating) at temps 25-35 F in cold, wet, damp environments. It’s a great system for long hikes where I can’t dry stuff out during the day.

I pair it with a Feathered Friends Tanager (20 F rating) or EE Enigma down 20 in single digit F’s to teens F in fringe seasons.

I also use it in the winter with my Feathered Friends Lark (10 F rating) for multi-day trips in subzero conditions.

No issues with any of these setups.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

You might have a look at Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit quilts, which in my experience do well as over quilts.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

The EE revelation apex would probably serve well as an over quilt so you don’t squash the footbox down too much. They have pad straps which would work similar to the Katabatic system to keep the quilt over you. You could always go MYOG too.

Dan R
    BPL Member

@lckeeper1

Similar to Ryan’s system, I have a Tanager and couple it with an MLD Vision quilt in large. It’s well-made, lightweight, and big enough to accomodate my 6′ 230lb frame on top of the Tanager (with room to spare). My only niggle is there is not cinch on the neck opening, but I’m going to add some grosgrain and shock cord to change that. Once it poops out I would definitely get another.

Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

Thank you all.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have a myog overquilt, no fastening other than a snap at the neck, stays in place just fine.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Does the overquilt need to cover the base quilt completely?  I’m thinking I have a hammock underquilt that would cover torso and legs. Footbox warmth seems like a separate thing and you can put a shell over that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools