Topic

Symmes Creek/Shepard’s Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Symmes Creek/Shepard’s Pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

Has anyone hiked any part of the trail this 2019 season?? I am heading up this coming Thursday, August 22, and would appreciate a road condition report for that portion of the road above the corral to the trailhead. Would like to drive a sedan all the way up to the main trailhead if possible. Thanks, John

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You might have better luck in pre-trip planning instead of post trip reports, fwiw.

[I’m not sure it makes a difference because so many read the forums using the new posts link but good point and moved! -MK]

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I would think that a phone call to the Lone Pine Interagency Center would be able to answer that; they’re usually pretty good.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Great suggestion Craig. Here’s the phone number: 760-876-6200

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

You might also contact the Mt. Williamson Motel in Independence.  They do a lot of hiker shuttling, and are intimately familiar with conditions in their area, which includes the “road” to the hiker TH.

(760) 878-2121

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I was up there on a trip not too long ago. The road is pretty much the same as it has been the last couple of years. There were 2-wheel drive, non-high ground clearance cars at the trailhead. I have a Subaru, I’m good… but I think you basically have to drive carefully, and just try not to scape in places.

The trail is in good shape. I would imagine by the now the usual snowfield right below Shepherd Pass has boot-tracks across it too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools