Topic

Swim shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Swim shorts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

other than silkies and Luke’s Laundry shorts, what are good options for swim shorts? Thanks.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I use USAF Trunks, aka: PTU. 12 ounces.

Lots of inexpensive thrift store options out there.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Well, you specifically said “other than” but…I pack the LUL laundry shorts. 1.14 oz.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Close-fitting, wicking boxers serve as hiking shorts (like light-weight biking shorts), swim trunks and underwear:

I’ve got some with black-on-black writing on the waist band that is pretty subtle.  You’d have to look very closely to notice they aren’t shorts or a swimsuit.

Cheaper, lighter and therefore quicker to dry.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

David, you said as hiking shorts? Do you hike in those without anything on them? I see. You are a very-remote-area-hiker :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Gregory,  I do hike with them as shorts.  The black doesn’t show the contours much at all.  It’s always in warm weather, so my shirt is untucked and draped over much of the briefs.  I’d hesitate to plop myself down at a trail junction to chat with strangers with my legs far apart, but at first glance, they do look like bicycle or running tights.

Chris Hunkeler
    BPL Member

@hunkeler1961

Locale: San Diego County

I’m with David Thomas here but I use the Eastbay Evapor 6″ compression short (71 g, 2.5 oz) because it has no fly. I used a black pair this Sunday on a 15 mile day hike on the Pacific Crest Trail heading north from Mt Laguna and on Friday on a shorter desert canyon hike (Harper Canyon, San Diego County). I switched from a long base layer to the Evapor compression shorts under my hiking pants once the sun came up. Then as the day got warmer I removed the hiking pants and hiked just in compression shorts. As the afternoon got cooler, I opted to go commando in the hiking pants, a slightly warmer option than just the compression shorts.

These are lighter than my lightest Pro Player running shorts (79 g, 2.8 oz), heavier than the Jockey Air Trunk underwear (40 g, 1.4 oz) but can act as both hiking shorts, swim trunks and underwear.

The black and navy colors are conservative enough. I have worn all the colors while running, cycling or for body weight workouts at the local park or my pool’s gym. I do not recommend these for body surfing unless you want them at your ankles each time you catch a big wave. If worn with confidence, these are a great multi-purpose solution for hiking.

Here are some examples:
    2015 Carlsbad Triathlon
    As cycling shorts
    A brief pause during an evening run along the beach

No hiking photos yet. I’ll try to get one next time I’m out and about.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What’s wrong with swimming au-natural — naked?

I normally wear Patagonia Baggies with the liner cut out and no underwear. I will sometimes swim with my hiking shorts on if there are people around who I feel might be offended. No extra shorts = UL multi-use item.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’m with Nick.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If it’s warm enough that I want to swim, it’s warm enough that I can dry my shorts easily by wearing them dry. I have no problem swimming naked but sometimes I like to swim with my shorts and underwear on as a way to wash them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools