Topic

Suunto Disaster and need help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suunto Disaster and need help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I have a Suunto Ambit 3.  Now they are changing their interface. It’s a disaster for a lot of reason, like wanting to have a blue tooth Phone connection to the watch all the time, strongly suggesting that you disable any battery saving modes for the app, and lots of ridiculous settings for us trying to keep battery usage down on the trail.  But that is configurable. Now it no longer loads the profile of an activity to the web site, only the phone.  Crazy.  To export a track file, I have to go to the phone, share a file with myself, and worst of all, there is no longer a gpx export that I can find.  Only a .FIT file that has far less data. The FIT only includes altitude points on some sort of totally random algorithm.   So, if anyone can tell me an easier way to export the file and especially a gpx file, I would really appreciate it.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Oof. Buh-bye Suunto is all I have to say.

I’m an Ambit 3 Peak owner. I’ve been on the fence about a new watch lately, but what you describe above is the nudge I need.

Not being able to access data-laden GPX files is a stupid omission of a pretty fundamental feature.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Hmmmm…… Suunto has repeatedly announced the phasing out of the the Movescount web interface for almost two years now. Nothing new here unless you live in a cave somewhere.

Movescount had a web interface and a phone app. The phone app always connected to the watch via Bluetooth but the app is now deprecated. The Suunto app is the way all Suunto watches are now managed. Changes to the exercise settings on the Ambit3 family are still supported on the movescount web interface.

I use my Suunto Ambit3 Peak every single day while at home and while backpacking. I see NO difference in battery performance between the old Movescount app and the Suunto app….

I did like the web interface and a large number of Ambit3 users have been pushing Suunto to provide a web version of the Suunto app.

I still think the Ambit3 Peak is the best watch out there for *my* needs and uses:

– highly battery efficient – at least 24 hours per charge

– excellent GPS performance

– highly configurable

– no silly fancy color screen (I consider this a feature; the monochrome screen results in great battery performance!)

– no wrist based optical HR sensor – again a big plus as the wrist is the worst place to get HR readings from; while optical sensors have gotten better over time they still don’t work well enough while running. Chest straps are uncomfortable but they work!

The FIT file is a standard long used by (and created by?) Garmin. FIT files contain all the information in a gpx  file plus things like heart rate, power meter and other data. There are a lot of tools available that convert from FIT to gpx. No the sky is NOT falling…….

It does have a learning curve.

I wish one would spend some time understanding the issues before posting utter nonsense.

I suggest heading to the Suunto web forums and reading up there…..all these issues have been covered there ad nauseum over the past couple of years….

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I am always amused by the behavior of attacking the speaker if one does not like the topic.  I am not clueless but I do dive in underwater caves!

And wrong, the FIT file does not contain all the altitude points that the GPX files from the watch used to have.

The issues here are that no GPX files are available now.  The second is the that is it is a multistep, annoying process to even extract even the lousy file that is in a format that even Caltopo will not recognize.  Extra step to convert that to make it usable.  Finally, the reliance on phone to do everything in this world is getting ridiculous.  Unless someone can help me instead of childishly insulting me, the watch will be for sale.  Cheap.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Disaster? Nah… first world problem at best.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

So I guess first world problems are now taboo.  So sorry.   We need to take down the last 500 posts on spending $800 for a DCF tent to save 1/2 pound.  Or Ryan’s review on the Garmin InReach?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hello all. I’d like to remind everyone of the Forum Guidelines, particularly #6, which says:

“Give people a break. Life is hard. Don’t make it harder. These are recreational forums, after all.”

Let’s try to keep the place where we discuss our shared interest in ultralight backpacking a pleasant place. There is so much arguing in our world right now. Let’s not go on the attack concerning watches.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Art, according to the Suunto website you can export (share) a gpx file, though that might only be available on certain devices, not sure. Might be worth a try anyway.

“You can export both the .gpx file (1) and the .fit file (2) of your training from the Suunto app.

Open your saved routes gallery and tap the Share button . Send the .gpx file to a friend, AirDrop it, save it to your Files, or your Google Drive. Additionally, you can go to your exercise, tap the “More” (three dots), and save the route to the gallery.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools