Topic

Surprising high cal/oz foods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Surprising high cal/oz foods?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

maybe this is a “duh” sorta thing, but it surprised me so figured I’d inform others who may not have realized, and see if people have other good ideas to add to this list.

i was eating some chips the other day and glanced at the nutrition info… Lays French Onion potato chips are 160 cal/oz! All the other bags of chips & crackers I checked (Fritos, Cheez-Its, etc) are closer to 140 cal/oz… still up there but not quite as surprising.

any other fun high calorie options that might not be the obvious cheese, butter & olive oil options?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Slim Jims, if you can stomach them.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I have started eating Bobo’s oat bars for breakfast.    Tasty with coffee.   127 cal/oz, and good calorie density too – a 380cal bar has about the same volume as a Clif bar.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Many dehydrated foods are around 100-130C/oz. Onions, precooked beans, rice, etc. Fats and oils are around 240-250C/oz. Peanut butter, nuts, and others all have excelent calories. Even precooked/dehydrated peppers, corn, green beans, etc have around 100C/oz or good calories.

Fats, oils have the most calories. Proteins and carbs have the next most. Veggies an fruits have the least. This is generally speaking, though it is possible to have exceptions (dried avacodos for example.)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

200 calories per 30 grams

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Pecan pie.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Ha! Matthew, I have that same TJs bag in my backpacking food stash. Goes into the hot breakfast.

TJs also sells very convenient small pouches of coconut oil.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Oooh, I like you’re thinking David! How to make that preservable while camping is your next task :)

Matt- didn’t know coconut… esp being almost 200 cal/oz, that is def surprising! Any idea if toasted is similar? I really don’t like raw.

James- dried avocados? Is that actually a thing??!! I’ve had fried as an appetizer, VERY yummy. Will have to look that up

ralph- loved Bobo bars when we lived in denver. My wife would get them st the farmers market in Boulder where they started.

Paul- I’m not a fan of slim Jim’s but I can def eat them. I’ll have to check on them next time I’m at the store.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha, ha…yeah. Dried avacados has about 169C/oz. VERY high as dried vegies/fruits go.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

For a 100 grams, chips generally supply about 480 calories.  Olive oil is 884 calories and butter is 717.

Peanut butter has 588.

You can’t go wrong with nut butters if you’re willing to carry them.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

CHOCOLATE Pecan Pie.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Those Bobo’s oat bars look pretty good…do they get really hard when it’s cold?

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

The avocado powder sold on Amazon wasn’t exactly a hit for the one person that reviewed it.

“I never imagined what the scum around a public toilet tasted like, but if its any worse than this powder I would be amazed. As the carolina reaper is hot, this magically disgusting powder lingers with a nausiating raw egg and cat crap feeling on your mouth”

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Bobo’s bars are good, but they can be a little dry, and have a finite shelf life. Bought too far in advance, they can develop mold. I have used them for many hikes, and love them.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Coconut milk powder, powdered butter, powdered heavy cream, powdered MCT oil and just about any other powdered dairy product will have about 200 cals. per oz.  While thru-hiking the CDT this year I added coconut milk powder to my breakfast and to the Nido I drank with lunch and with my mid-afternoon snack.

I’m still craving it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

YMMV but my advice is to try the MCT oil powder at home rather than on the trail. I’m ok with one scoop at a time but two scoops is way more than my GI tract can handle elegantly.

Bret G
    Spectator

@bdgrover

Locale: Utah

I was surprised by those honey stinger waffle cookies are 160 cal/oz.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The most calories/ounce I’ve ever achieved is to take a 1-gram $20 bill into the Grand Canyon and convert it to 2 large lemonades, 2 granola and 3 snickers bars at Phantom Ranch.

1300 calories / gram = 37,000 calories (a week’s worth) per ounce.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bret, Those waffles are compact as heck too. I’m a big fan because I rarely grow tired of them unlike many other types of bars. And if I’m not in the mood I can choke one down in just a couple big bites and a swish of water.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

My wife loves the Honey Stinger waffles for after long runs. I actually haven’t eaten them yet. Will have to snag some of hers :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Lemon Honey Stinger Waffles are the best thing ever. Also they go really well with mint tea.

The gluten free wildflower honey waffles are amazing too but I think they are 10 or 15 calories less bar bar so I’ll stick with lemon.

Gingersnap are ok too.

I’ll leave the rest of the flavors for other people.

They pack really well in bearcans. My son and I took literally 150 with us on the JMT. I think we had maybe three left at the end.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@energizer

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Ryan, how about KETO bricks?  They are like 1000 calories.  Even if you are not on KETO, they are a whole meal.  They are a tad hard to get as they sell out quickly.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

@energizer I’m not KETO or any other specialty diet so hadn’t heard of those. Just checked them out and they look very interesting! 1000 cal at 151g weight is ~190 cal/oz so way up there! They’re really expensive though at $12 each. Not sure my hiking budget can swallow that. I haven’t calculated rough costs on my homemade freezer bag meals yet, but pretty sure they’re in the $4-6 each range. Will have to do that soon

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools