Topic

Supportive shoes for the PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Supportive shoes for the PCT

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jason Schwartz
    Spectator

@turing-test

I’m doing the PCT this year and am having a real problem finding the right shoes. I’ve been using 8-10 mm drop shoes my whole life and haven’t begun transitioning from them, so Altras and other zero drop shoes won’t work for me (I’ve already started the trail and had to get off to replace a leaking sleeping pad so don’t have time to transition). I am also very over-pronate and this has caused some problems in recent years, mainly shin splints. Because of this I need shoes with a wide base and a lot of support for the inserts I use. The only trail runners that I’ve been able to find that work for me are Asics Gel Kahanas. The problem is that they have a pretty narrow toe box which doesn’t work for thru hiking (also they don’t make them anymore). I’ve tried everything they have at REI. The Brooks Cascadia 16 were probably closest with their fairly wide base, but the rounded heel was a failure point for the supportiveness.

I’d like to stick with trail runners obviously, but if I have to switch to hiking shoes, so be it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

You should have ironed your shoes out long before starting a thru hike. That being said you are going to have a tough time finding big heel drop, wide toe box, supportive shoes. If I were you I would get Topo Ultraventure 2 and cut some foam and increase the heel drop a bit-it’s 5mm. It’s a wide toe box somewhat supportive shoe. Your orthotic should be correcting the majority of your pronation issue.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I frequently adjust the drop in shoes by cutting replacement insoles to fit only under my heel. These go under the insole supplied with the shoe. I don’t use the heel portion, I cut the flat portion into the shape of the heel.

The heel only inserts are too thick for fine tuning the drop, but may work well for you.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for the tip, George W.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Kids who are just a bit too short, can also use the multiple inserts, cut down to the heel sections, inside of hiking boots, to get on more exciting rides.

Jason Schwartz
    Spectator

@turing-test

Appreciate the responses. I ended up going with the Merrell Moab Edge 2. Something in between a hiking shoe and trail runner.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-edge-2/33192M.html

They don’t have the ground feel of trail runners, but they’re not overly heavy or bulky and they have the support I need. I have high hopes.

Dan B
    BPL Member

@danben

Try the wildcat from La sportiva

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools