Topic

Superstitions Beta?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Superstitions Beta?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

Hey all – I am finally going to make it out to the Superstitions and was hoping to get some advice from anyone’s who’s been been there before.

My primary question is: are any of the streams/springs likely to be running?

I am planning to do the following :

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/QZQsLmJfQk3qdXRcjw1W2lav

Siphon Draw -> Flat Iron -> Ridgeline Trail -> Superstition Mountain -> Carney Spring -> Wave Cave (side trip – not on map) -> Peralta Trailhead -> Peralta Canton Trail -> Freemont Saddle -> Unnamed cutover trail just below Weaver’s Needle -> Bluff Spring Trail -> Peralta Trailhead

I will be out next Monday (hitting the trail early afternoon) through Tuesday. It should be hot. The miles aren’t that bad for me so I have a lot of flexibility as to where I camp. The general areas I am considering are:

• Up high around Superstition peak. This would be my first choice if it is feasible – obviously it would be a dry camp.
    • Somewhere around Carney Springs – This would allow me to hit the Wave Cave either late or early when I can hopefully have it myself. Bonus if there’s water nearby.
    • Along the Peralta Canyon trail – This would be a longer first day and I would probably add some miles (maybe going all the way around Weaver’s needle) to the second day. I will be leaving my car at Peralta TH so this would allow me to pick up cache too.

Now for a really random question – will I be able to get a cell signal at the Peralta TH? I am planing to call a cab (or someone figure out how to Uber) from there to the Siphon Draw TH. If not I will call from in town and ask them to meet me there.

Any other thoughts or suggestions that might help me get more out of my trip would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The weather forecast is 109° in Phoenix on Monday. Typically the Supes are only a couple degrees cooler. Have you hiked in 105° full sun conditions before?

We have had an extremely dry spring. I would be surprised if you saw any water out there right now. You can probably get a recent spring report on hikearizona.com.

YMMV/HYOH but 110° forecasts are not when I would choose to head out to the Superstitions. Be careful.

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Sweated my butt off in January down there, low 80s.  Lack of shade and radiant heat from rocks make it feel hotter.  Wish I had a chrome dome with me…

Drought conditions will qualify beta from previous years water conditions

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My phone just popped up with a notification that an excessive heat warning is in effect through Monday night.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Thanks for the warning on the temps and heads up on the springs – I wasn’t expecting there to be much water out there, but it was worth a try.

I will go ahead and cache some water in my car which I can grab (dependent on where I sleep) Tuesday morning.

I am pretty well kitted for the high temps and will be travelling light (aside from all that water). Apache Junction (forecast = 103 Monday, 100 Tuesday) is a bit cooler than Phoenix. Monday will be a pretty quick ascent up over 4,000 feet where it should be 7-10 degrees cooler.

At least the heat should dramatically reduce the crowds – maybe I can even get Flatiron and/or the Wave Cave to myself.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I haven’t been out this season, but being June best to plan that there is no water available anywhere in the Superstition backcountry.  Some rare chance you might find some at Bluff Spring but otherwise no.  Advice…carry all the water you think you might need or cache it in advance.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Be careful and let us know how it went afterwords. Have fun!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

So how did the trip go?

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

The trip was pretty brutal – but I would totally do it again!

I ended up not getting onto the trail until 2:00 on Monday – already exhausted from traveling from the east coast. It was really hot right out of the gate and so I made slow progress up the Siphon Draw Trail.

I topped out close to 6:30 and headed over to the Flatiron. For anyone not in the know, the Flatiron is a huge iron-shaped gently sloping field that juts out into space, with 1,000+ foot cliffs on 3 sides. It is definitely worth checking out (and really shouldn’t take over 4 hours to reach).

The sun had kicked my butt, there wasn’t a soul in sight (I never saw anyone on the trip), and no wind to speak of, so I just set up camp on the Flatiron. It was a great place to spend the night.

Next morning I was up at 5:00, took my time getting moving and was on the trail around 6:00.

The Ridgeline Trail is nice, easy (aside from time I got off track and had to do some class 4 scrambling), and has great views. The morning was pleasant.

A little before 11:00, I reached the Hieroglyphics Trail just before the climb up to Superstition Peak. The sun was fully up at this point and I was feeling the cumulative effects of the heat so I decided to bail there. Turns out it was a great idea, as I hit a wall shortly thereafter and it took me forever to hike the easy 3 miles out (though I did take a couple of cave naps on the way).

I was a little bummed that I missed Superstitioun Peak and the Wave Cave, but at least that gives me a good excuse to go back. Regardless, the bail was the right call. I like that I got a chance to test my desert environment limits in a remote, yet extremely connected and accessible area. I also did a terrible job of taking pictures while the sun was up – D’oh.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Whoops – pictures don’t seem to have come through. That’ll learn me to try and post from my phone. I’ll get the pics up this afternoon.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Brendan – I live at the foot of Superstition Mt and have hiked all over the it, including your route multiple times.  The Ridgeline route on Superstition Mt which is considered one of the most difficult trails in the area.  Doing it in summertime with 100+ temps is really impressive.

Ron

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

I finally got some pictures up! (which, incidentally was way harder than it should be)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Nice to see the pics. I’m glad you had a good trip. I might have to hit these spots some time but it will definitely be in a cooler time of the year.

Safe to assume you saw zero water out there?

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Thanks! It was bone dry out there. I was actually carrying more weight in water than gear on this outing. I also gotta say, water is a lot less refreshing when it is north of 90 degrees.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

100% agree

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools