Topic

Superstition Wilderness Loop and Desert Camping Advice Needed!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Superstition Wilderness Loop and Desert Camping Advice Needed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I am heading to Scottsdale next week for business and managed to squeeze in some extra time for a quick trip to the Superstitions! I I have a day and half to play, with the half day on day one.

I do not have much desert experience so I would prefer to stick primarily to established trails. I am looking for something between 20 and 30 miles. I have never been to the area before and so would love to hit some don’t miss spots but would also like a little solitude. I will just have a rental car so I need to end up where I started.

I also have a few questions about camping the Superstitions. Will I be able to bear bag or should I just keep the food in the tent? Is cowboy camping an option or would a net tent, tarp or both be a more sensible way to go this time of year. Is there anything else that you think someone without much desert experience should know before heading into the Superstitions alone?

Any route or resource recommendations would be much appreciated as would any tips for backpacking in the area. Thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Disclaimer: I’ve only been to the Supes once.

The Western Superstitions do not have much in the way of tall trees. I’ve placed my food in a stuffsack on an overhanging branch of a palo verde tree.

Water is an issue. It’s been quite rainy here for the last couple of weeks so I doubt it will be a big challenge. There are only a few perennial water sources. The three I know about are LaBarge and Charlebois on the west side and then Reavis Ranch has a creek that is supposed to run all the time.

The trip I did started at the Canyon Lake trailhead (NW) headed down towards Second Water (which was dry) through Boulder Canyon (lovely, the creek was running nicely in February 2015) over to Charlebois and Labarge to the Peralta Trailhead to exit. We arranged for shuttles. I think the mileage for that trip was around 18 or 20 miles, all on trail.

Boulder Canyon is a place you can find some solitude. LaBarge/Charlebois are heavily impacted campsites.

I recommend you reach out to the AZ BCH (Backpacking, Canyoneering and Hiking) Club. They are very active and friendly. Everyone I’ve met from that group seems great but I’d pay particular attention to anything Delisse says. Here’s a link to their Facebook Group.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Link to BCH Meetup Group.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

Thanks Mathew!

I joined the Facebook group and will reach out to them for some insight shortly. I am thinking of taking the Peralta Trail up East Boulder Canyon, connecting with the Dutchman Trail, Climbing Black Top Mesa and then heading back down LeBarge Canyon to Whiskey Spring and then out past Miner’s Needle back to the trail head. Overall it is 23 miles with a little over 5,000 feet of elevation.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That sounds great. Please post a trip report!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools