Topic

Superior Wilderness Designs now offers in stock Long Haul 50 packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Superior Wilderness Designs now offers in stock Long Haul 50 packs

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Just a public service announcement: Superior Wilderness Designs now offers an “in stock” version of their Long Haul 50 pack.  Custom packs still have a 8-12 week wait time, but these “stock” models should meet a lot of peoples needs (if they can stand the colors).

These are excellent alternatives to HMG 3400 series packs and the Z-Packs Arc Haul.

I do not work for, own, know, or have any financial stake in SWD.  I do own one of their packs that I paid full price for.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Brad,  Which of their packs do you own and please say what you like/dislike about it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I own a Long Haul 50 that I had them make out of 210d Dyneema Grid, with a Dyneema Grid Front Pocket (rather than mesh), load lifters (which may now be standard), top Y strap, dual adjust hipbelt, and hipbelt pockets.  My packs is a Large with a Medium hipbelt and it is 28.6oz.

It’s really well built, has two nice aluminum stays that are already shaped perfectly for my back.  I can get water bottles in and out of the pockets on the move.

The only thing that I don’t like is, with a 22″ torso, the size Large is almost too small, I wish they had an XL size.  My only other complaint is I wish it was a little bigger volume wise (perhaps a longer extension collar), but the 50L size is probably what most people want.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nice pack. It’s about 1 lb. lighter than my Osprey EXOS 58, Large (61 liters). That’s a fair amount of ounces to a UL backpacker.

However I’d bet the EXOS is a bit more comfortable as I’ve never had a more comfortable pack including my huge but well designed  Dana Terraplane.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Hey Eric I have one, all in VX21 bought a few months ago. It is very nice. Just love the way you can form the stays to your own torso. I had an Exos 38 for up to 3-4 days, for me the fit on the SWD is better-and you get a wee air gap! Obviously not the same as the Exos but okay.

Glad the Exos is working out for you. Have a Happy Christmas.

Cheers-Graham

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The last Osprey pack I used was an original ~2003 Aether 60.  Since then Osprey packs have turned into complicated mess with straps everywhere and I prefer clean designs.  I know a couple of people that use and like the Exos designs, but they aren’t for me so it’s a good thing we have all of the choices that we have.  I also don’t care for the way HMG packs fit me, but yet they seem to have a huge following so obviously they work for a lot of people.  My most comfortable pack is a Seek Outside, but at nearly 3lb it’s overkill for most of my trips.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Brad,  Having read many of your posts over the years you are clearly very well “dialed-in” with your lightweight gear choices.  So I was a little surprised when you said that the Long Haul 50 is “almost too small” and you “wish it was a little bigger volume wise”.  What is your typical baseweight?  Do you pack your sleeping bag/quilt and other insulation loosely /not compress it in your pack?

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Long Haul 40 Large (21.5″ torso) until reading your post.  For most all of my trips a 40 Liter internal capacity pack for me is sufficient (MLD Prophet, HMG 2400) but upon retiring I hope to do a few two to three month long trail section hikes and am wondering if the 50 would be a better fit for a “one pack does everything except UL summer weekend hikes” pack.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Hey Gerry for what it’s worth I recently loaded up a friends 40L and my LH50 with the same number of firm pillows. But first I removed about 20% of the volume of the LH50 using the compression  cords. Worked fine in the LH50. Now if you had to jam in some really hard stuff it may be a problem but I doubt it. The trick is to reduce the volume before you start loading! Then you have the extra space should you need it. My baseweight if I was using this (bought it for winter here mainland SE Australia -some Alpine use) is about 4.5 kgs to 5 kgs. Cheers.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My solution for a “too small” pack is to add side pockets. I did it on my ESXOS 58 (61 L.) mainly to have fast access to items I may need in a hurry – like 1st aid, water purifier, toilet kit plus keeping stove & fuel separate from the main pack.

The side pockets on the EXOS add about 500 cubic inches. That’s plenty of extra space for smaller cool weather extras like light gloves or fleece headbands.

(FYI, The pink flamingo rides in a place of honor in the shovel pocket, watching my six.)

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Graham, That is a brilliant idea.  Thanks.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Eric,  Funny you mention adding side pockets to add capacity.  Actually I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Long Haul 40 with two upper side pockets for the very same reasons you mentioned.  But reading both Brad’s and Graham’s comments make me wonder if I should have ordered the 50 L instead.  Fortunately with a 8 – 12 week lead time I have time over the holidays to load a couple of my packs that will soon be put up for sale on Gear Swap and make a final decision.  But by placing an order now I figured I at least am now in the production queue.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Eric, I too have a pink flamingo…an inflatable that sits on top of one of my shelter stakes.  When I go hiking with the boy scouts, I will occasionally bring it as a gag.  They get a great kick out of it!

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I own the Exos 34, 46 and 58 liter packs. When they first came out I considered them a great fit for me.

Now I own a SWD full suspension 35L pack.  Hands down on a different level of comfort….best pack for me.  I had a total weight of 29 lbs starting on my final sevens days on the JMT.  Very comfortable.  Great pack.

I just visited their site and I only saw 30 and 50 liter packs…??

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

I have a Longhaul 40 that is plenty big for anything I could put together … winter gear, 4-5 days food, Duomid with inner and 15º Katabatic Sawatch.

Im close to pulling the trigger on a frameless SWD 30 or 35 … can’t decide … on one hand the 35 is like only 1-2 ounces more and provides a bit more wiggle room. On the other hand … why get a pack that is only 5L different in terms of capacity (granted it will be without hip belt/frame and a few accessory changes)

Decisions decisions.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

No worries Gerry, hope it helped, and the wait………………………………..–………………………….Serenity now!

It seemed like forever. Best to at least get in the queue as you have done!

Really, just stunning people to work with-just make your decision I reckon in about four weeks or so, you don’t want to go to the back of the queue.

Think about the Milo pocket-wished I had it.

I use this for the bulk of the year –

https://www.wildernessthreadworks.com/collections/backpacks-1/products/sonder-36l-pack-1

and plan to scrunch down the SWD LH50 for other times.

BUT the SWD 40 is so appealing!

Cheers.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I just ordered a Long Haul 50 with longer stays (“XL” Size), in full Dyneema Grid and a little longer extension collar.  I can’t emphasize enough how easy it is to work with Brandon and Ashley.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I bought a Long Haul 50 last year and used to hike AT thru most of New Hampshire, including the White Mountains, and I love it. Nothing I don’t like about it. Sturdy but light, very functional and comfortable. I got compliments on it daily.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

My LH50 came in the mail the day after Christmas (thank you Santa!).  It fits beautifully.  Got mine with the double hipbelt, dual shoulder pouches and hip belt pockets.  Plan to break it in in BiBe in early February.

Justin T
    BPL Member

@justapner

Hey Brad, I’ve been checking for these In-Stock SWD’s but they don’t seem to have them anymore, do you know if it was just a short run they did?

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

They stopped a couple of months ago. I have a feeling the demand for their DCF sacks may have something to do with this. Perhaps call them?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

You’re right, they don’t appear to have in stock packs on their website anymore.  I’m not sure why, but perhaps it was due to demand and not being able to make stock packs and keep up with custom orders.

I did receive my custom “XL” pack from them about a month ago, and though I haven’t done any overnight trips with it, I have done two long dayhikes with it loaded up with my gear and canned goods in my bear canister to simulate a week’s load in the Sierras.  It’s a really nice pack.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools