Topic

Superior Wilderness Designs custom DCF pack (video review)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Superior Wilderness Designs custom DCF pack (video review)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Here’s a quick look at my SWD DCF/cuben 40L pack with internal aluminum stays.  This pack has become my go-to pack for UL backpacking and was used in Colorado in summer 2018 for about 200 miles of hiking, including the section of the CT from Twin Lakes to Lake City.  I’m really in love with this suspension system–I’ve been using my HMG Southwest 3400 now for about 5 years and ended up selling my ZPacks Arc Blast because I preferred the HMG style stays which can be bent to fit your pack and make it ride close to your center of gravity.  I decided last year that it was about time to get that base weight down to around 8 lbs, so I thought I’d give this pack a try.

Overall, I love the pack.  My only complaint is that the shoulder strap was hurting my left shoulder pretty bad (i.e., shoulder was pretty sore). I’d say that my HMG pack is more comfortable overall (the way the straps hug/curve around my shoulders)–I may look into having the shoulder straps modified to fix this issue.  Eventually, the issue went away after 3-4 days of hiking, so I’m not sure what to make of it.  I’ll be using this pack again this year to finish my CT hike and other hikes I have planned on the AT.

Anyway, enjoy the vid!  I’m curious to hear your thoughts on your SWD packs as well.

YouTube video

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Thanks David,

About 18 months ago I bought the SWD 35L frame pack….Love it!  At that time SWD didn’t have their 40L pack.

Last year I used the pack on my 185 mile hike of the JMT.  I had zero problems, absolute comfort.  I picked up 6 days of food at the Ranch and they had a scale.  My pack was 29 lbs and 100% full.  It rode beautifully.  I’m a load lifter fan.  I noticed you didn’t get that option.  I also got the tall side pocket to slide my Nemo Hornet tent in.  Fits great.  I also have Z-Pack shoulder pockets.

I can’t say enough good things about this pack.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools