Topic

Super light X-pac 1.7 oz/yd

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Super light X-pac 1.7 oz/yd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

This fabric is listed on Quest Outfitter but can’t find much about it. Anyone have any experience or made anything with it? Could this be a beerier option over 30d sil nylon for a backpack?

Thanks, Jeff

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What is the designation of said material?

I know they make some very light fabrics (it is a sailcloth) and they used to sell a 70d fabric at Rockywoods.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Looks like that’s the ET30.  I have no experience with it but it looks like the tear strength is 1.9 lbs/8.5 newtons on the warp and 3.5 lbs/15.6 newtons on the fill.  This is straight out of the product guide PDF that DP emails its wholesale customers.  If someone can find figures for 30d silnylon then you could compare.

Also, it does not have the complete waterproofness of the other Xpac laminates – 5 PSI instead of 200+ like the VX07/VX21/etc.  I don’t know how PSI converts to hydrostatic head though, if you wanted to compare to silnylon.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

5 psi = >3500mm H2O

I think.

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Thanks for the info guys!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

FYI, I ordered small amount of a very light DP laminate, around 2-2.5 oz/sq/yd, to test a couple years ago, and found that it had no waterproofness at all – just a slight squeeze brought water right through – not worth testing for HH. So if you do follow up on a buy, suggest trying to get a sample to test for water resistance before ordering a whole lot of it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools