Topic

Super-duper ultralight stakes, but not for tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Super-duper ultralight stakes, but not for tents

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Camping on mudstone country last week. Very dry hard stuff the ridges. I carry both Al tubes and Ti stakes, with the tubes used at the ends of the tunnel tent under significant load. Several times I had to resort to the Ti wires at the ends because I simply could NOT get the tubes in, even with hammering. With the Ti wires – I just kept hammering until they went in.

Funny thing tho’ – in one case once I got the Ti wire through the rock (some hammering), I was able to replace it with a tube. The Ti wire had fracture the rock.

Cheers

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I had purchased the Coghlan stakes that look like MSR Groundhogs at Target or Walmart. First time I hammered them, half ended bent. At times, inexpensive ends up costing in the end.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Maybe JR did this with the stakes he shows in the photos above, but I like to dip the top of my tent stakes in Plasti-Dip.

Just bright orange spray paint. Plasti-Dip would have been better, but I don’t have enough projects to justify opening a can.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sometimes you can get away with yellow heatshrink. Poor life, but very visible.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools