Topic

Sunscreen and Bug Spray in the Philmont Backcountry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sunscreen and Bug Spray in the Philmont Backcountry?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

Can anyone who has been to Philmont recently tell me if there is sunscreen and bug spray available for sale in the back country trading posts and commissaries? I’m trying to estimate how much we need. If I can buy some on the trail, I’m tempted to guess on the low side.

Edgar M
    Spectator

@edgarm

Sunscreen is definitely available in the backcountry.  I think the bug spray is as well, but not 100% sure on that one.  Bug spray was not one of those items that we needed a lot of, so a small container may be all you need.

Michael C
    Spectator

@sbillinimike

Sunscreen is available, although I took a small tube and was fine.  I didn’t use bug spray.  I treated my hiking clothes with permethrin before going to Philmont and never had an issue with bugs.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The products are available at the staffed camps with commissaries.

My 0.49 oz stick of Dematone sunscreen lasted the whole trek but I was wearing long sleeved shirt, long pants, wide brimmed hat, bandana around neck, and sun gloves.

I also pre-treated my clothes and hat with permethrin and brought a mosquito head net.  I decanted 40% deet into a 1/3 oz bottle and only used it once I think.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools