Topic

Sun Hat vs Hoodie & Ball Cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sun Hat vs Hoodie & Ball Cap

Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

David, have you used your Arctic hat yet? I’m curious as to how it performed. It looks a lot like the Mission bucket hat that I alluded to earlier.

two pints
    BPL Member

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Gary – I have and I love it. Similar to the Mission but I think the brim is a bit wider and it has water absorbtion material in the dome. The IR reflective surface seems to work as promised, and the water pads definitely do. I hiked with the pads starting dry and compared to starting with them wet, and wet is definitely cooler. The pads also absorb a lot of sweat, which helps keep you cool and also keeps the sweat from running down into my eyes. I also like that it keeps my neck in the shade without a stifling cape and the top of my shoulders too. I’ll be using it in combination with a Columbia sun hoodie but only plan to use the hood when the sun is at low angles in the AM and PM and the temps aren’t as extreme.

two pints – Genius! Wish I’d known about that straw hat with a fan before I invested in the hard hat version; I would have given it a try.

I’m 99% settled on the Arctic Hat for my SHR trek 7/18 – 8/8. The only drawbacks I can see are the amount of wind it will catch and the fact that I can’t use it with my poncho to keep the hood open and pointed in the same direction as my face. I may take my OR Sun Runner along without the cape just to use as part of my rain system.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

https://www.patagonia.com/voluntary-recall-of-capilene-cool-daily-and-tropic-comfort-upf-products/

Some of Our Capilene® Cool Daily and Tropic Comfort Styles Missed the Mark on 50+ UPF.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I like a sun-brella like the Chrome Dome.  8 ounces, but I feel 10-15F cooler underneath, have 360-degree visibility, and it works in some rain (vertical rain, but not in high winds).  It also creates a spot of solid shade during a break if you hang from a tree or cactus branch allowing you to use both hands for lunch or treating water.

Like low-cut hiking shoes 30 years ago, the newbies think you’ve made a goofy gear choice while the most experienced folks nod appreciatively.

I also use collared shirts a lot to keep the sun off the base of my neck.  100% nylon up here where I’m bashing through alders and dead spruce; 100% cotton in the Grand Canyon so I can soak it with stream water.  Stream water I apply to myself feels like for free evaporative cooling, while sweating out the same water feels like work (and leaves my skin all salty).

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Bandana under bucket hat or ball cap. Collar up. Sunscreen on face.  Bandana can be wet when very hot. Also can be moved to cover the face.

On glaciers, clown white blocks it all on nose, lips —

On the river I like the sun hoodies with a ball cap as I can stay cool by getting wet.

Viewing 6 posts - 101 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!