Topic

Sump Strainers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sump Strainers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

Has anyone sourced Sump Strainers like or similar to the ones Philmont now issues? Watching Philmont’s “How to Wash Dishes in the Backcountry” video they show a turquoise straight sided plastic bowl with a few holes just along one side.

I know for many years they issued Frisbees drilled with a lot of little holes all across the bottom. I think in 2014 we were issued a plastic food strainer. I guess they got tired of making the Frisbee ones.

We want a couple for training our crews. We have the rest of the crew gear issued at Philmont. Even two Frisbees drilled with little holes like Philmont used to issue but they are about worn-out.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A 15″ x 15″ piece of plastic screen-door screen would work better (at catching food chunks) be lighter, cheaper,  and more compact.

Or, if you want a drilled-hole version, start with the bottom of a one-gallon milk jug – lighter, free, and as much free board / volume as you want.  I suggest trimming them with scissors instead of a razor knife for better control and fewer trips to the ER.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Thank you and those are very good tips.

But I was looking to replicate Philmont’s Sump Strainers. We like to train our crews, with as close as possible, the exact gear as they will use there. With the exception of new changes, Ranger Training is just a refresher of the training our crews already have.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.”

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Hi David,

I’m pretty sure these are MSR DeepDish Plates with holes drilled in them.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Thanks Bob,

They look like the one shown in their video. And there were just a few holes in the bottom along one side which seemed unusual for a commercially produce item. So you may have solved my mystery.

Thanks again.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools