Topic

Summit Pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Summit Pack?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

I just noticed tha the Philmont gear list has a summit pack but doesn’t give many details. What have others taken that works well?

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

The need for a summit pack will depend on your itinerary (which we don’t have yet).  But, I was thinking of getting a lightweight summit pack that could double as my “smellables”/food bag.  Something like: http://gossamergear.com/riksak-two.html might be big enough.

Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

That Gossamer Gear pack is pretty nice at that price. I was thinking about sewing webbing on a stuff sack, but that is much nicer and isn’t terribly expensive.

Edgar M
    Spectator

@edgarm

As set forth above, depending on  your itinerary, a summit pack may not be necessary.  Last summer, we had two nights at Black Horse.  In between, we hiked Baldy and had a commissary stop at Baldy town before coming back to Black Horse.  If you don’t want to carry the summit pack, those with packs that cinch down well (my Arc Blast does) can carry what is needed for the day/side hikes.  Gear not needed on the day/side hikes go up in bear bags.

Each of our crew also carried individual bear bags I made from silnylon.  For my next crew (2018) I plan on sewing straps on them so they can double duty as day packs.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

On our 2016 Trek (Itinerary #4), my son and I used the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Packs (2.4 oz).  They served double duty as stuff sacks.  I also found it convenient in Base Camp for carrying a rain jacket and water, etc.  For us it was a very worthwhile piece of gear that was used on summit hikes, day hikes on layover days, etc.

Regarding a food or bear bag being double duty as a summit pack… For us this would not have been ideal, as food and other smellables were normally up in the bear bags at the same time as the summit packs were being used.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I think a dedicated summit pack is not necessary. We did two peak bagging trips on layover days by emptying our packs and cinching them down.

If I were to go again and take my MLD pack, I would pull out the internal sleeve that weighs less than an ounce and can carry 2 liters of water. See http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=139.

I think both Zpacks and Oware sell similar set ups.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Oware is running a BLP special on that type of day pack/stuff sack.  See the Deals section here.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/drawcord-daypacks-50-off-for-bp/

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ MJH Yup. That is the one. about 1 ounce! Looks like the same design as my MLD sleeve which can carry water plus a bit of lunch.

Steve G
    BPL Member

@groversan

Locale: Middle East-Levant

All depends on your itinerary — I carried my ULA Circuit lightly loaded to Baldy — I had rain gear, hat-gloves, food, first aid kit, “essentials” and extra water on the way up from Miranda (via Black Horse).  We had a commissary stop in Baldy Town (via Copper Ridge) on the backside — hence the reason four of us carried (lightly loaded) full sized packs.  Other crew members carried the string bag type summit bags with their rain gear, snacks and water.  I really liked not having to carry a separate summit bag at Philmont — the Circuit is perfect size and weight to carry lightly loaded as a summit bag — I never thought “gee, I wish I had a sil-nylon sack instead of my Circuit.”  I assert that someone in your group needs to have First Aid kit and 10 Essentials — you will have to self rescue if you get in any trouble out there on Baldy day.  Have a great time!

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Several on our last trek used https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-221681/19487073

They pack down small and work well for sidehikes and around base camp.

Have a great trek!

Wilson M
    BPL Member

@wm4480

Locale: Kauai

Chuck,

Specifically for Baldy, I’ve done both ways before – some of the scouts I’m sure will have packs with detachable head pouches and hip belts that go together into a “butt pack”. That works, as does a sil-nylon summit pack, but as Steve mentioned above, most times you’ll have a commissary stop included in the summit day at Baldy Town. For that reason and that Philmont wants as many folks as possible hiking with the 10 essentials, I’d recommend just stripping down your regular packs, leave everything you can in tents and bear bags in camp, and that way you have space for 10E’s and food resupply if necessary. Take a closer look at this when y’all get your itinerary back, but I’d say no reason to go out and buy a specific summit pack – just use what y’all already have. If y’all are weight conscious already, it shouldn’t be that noticeable of a difference.

One caveat – if you’re climbing Phillips, chances are you’ll go up and over with a full load. Totally different strategy will apply there. Let me know if y’all wind up in that situation and I’ll give you my $0.02 for it too.

Steve- I bought a ULA Catalyst a year ago and love it. I wish I’d had it as a scout and as a ranger – each time I climbed baldy was with a 8+ lbs Dana design terraplane – not nearly as fun as with a 2 lbs pack! (Although it was no big deal as a ranger.)

Hope this helps gents. IWGBTP,

-Wilson

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools