Topic

SUL Cook Kit – cup, esbit stand, windshield and cup holder 1.4 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear SUL Cook Kit – cup, esbit stand, windshield and cup holder 1.4 oz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

When I do SUL trips I only boil water for instant coffee and morning oatmeal so the 8 ounce volume of the repurposed aluminum bean dip cup is enough for me. Weighs 0.5 oz and is pretty durable. Measures 2 1/8″ high and 3 3/8 ” diameter. Like sized soda or beer cans are a tad lighter, but they;e too thin and aren’t durable enough for me.

I made the Esbit stand by cutting out a round 3 inch diameter piece of aluminum sheeting and then I drilled three 5/32″ holes and fastened 1/8″ aluminum screws from the bottom of the stand into the threaded 1″ high aluminum posts. The cup fits on it perfectly and is very stable. Weighs 0.4 oz, same as a folding ti Esbit stand, however, the folding ti stand is too large for a 3 3/8″ diameter cup. Stand fits inside of cup for efficient packing.

Bottom of stand.

The 4″ X 15″ aluminum windshield is cut from Reynolds disposable aluminum baking sheets. Plenty solid and durable and at 0.4 oz it weighs about half of same size titanium windshields (at least the Ti Goat ti foil I have anyway). The baking sheets are less than $3 for 2.

The 2″ X 8″ piece of Reflectix not only allows me to grab the hot cup, it also serves to greatly lessen lip burn when it’s held flush with the top of the cup.Weighs 0.1 oz.

Not a factory looking finish on everything, but it is very functional. I guess to be hardcore SUL you’re supposed to go no cook, however, I’m not going backpacking without my coffee. Just sayin.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Monte: Awesome XUL rig.

No lid for the pot? Do you also eat your oatmeal and drink coffee from the pot?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I drink coffee straight from the cup, but for the oatmeal I use a 0.4 oz repurposed plastic bowl that measures 5 1/4″ diameter by 1 1/2″ high. Can hold about 4.5 oz oatmeal. I often line the bowl with a 2 gram piece of aluminum foil to make cleanup nonexistent. No lid for the cup though.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice setup Monte!!

If I just do a Ramen-based FBC meal (I add a foil pack of salmon/tuna/chicken) I can get by w/a similar setup I made.

All stores in the pot:

Blue Diamond Almond can.  Use a side-cut can opener to remove the ring at the lid.  Leaves enough rim for structural rigidity & for the plastic lid to still act as a “retainer”.

The lid repurposed from blueberry can in muffin mix (Betty Crocker and Krusteaz work) w/hole drilled in top for a cord “pull tab”.

To keep it all together, I used the plastic lid from the almond can.  I cut out the inside, leaving just the “rim” to lock it all in place.

A Ti-wing Esbit stove is the stand, and half an esbit or a tealight candle tin w/Denatured alcohol is all that’s needed to boil a full can.  Yes, I know about optimal pot height for alcohol stoves, etc, but what can a tell ya, it works!

Windscreen is cut-to-fit in the pot from a disposable aluminum roasting tray, or section of Foster’s beer can.  Holes punched along the bottom every so often.

Pot grabber is carbon felt – same size and shape as windscreen.

I forget the weight, and am not the guru of posting pics on this site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools