Topic

Suggestions for February Backpacking in Yosemite?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Suggestions for February Backpacking in Yosemite?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

I will be in San Fransisco in the middle of February and have 4 days to get away and do some backpacking. I was thinking of driving to Badger Pass and hiking to Dewey Point, then up to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome via Pohono Trail and back to Badger Pass via Glacier Point Rd.

Here’s a link to the route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27844550

Any other routes I should consider?

Any special gear I need to think about other than snowshoes?

Can I leave my car at Badger Pass’s parking lot?

Thanks!!

Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

Oops – wrong route:  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29219172

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Getting out to Dewey point should be easy peasy, very straightforward navigation. Getting over to Taft will require more careful navigation. I don’t know your level of familiarity with winter in the Sierra; but you should expect several feet of snow covering everything, so no sign of the trail and quite likely no sign of any trail signs. So be prepared to navigate as if there were no trails other than the Glacier point road. And though there may be tracks left by others, I would not trust them much.

Kept abreast of the forecast and be prepared to change your itinerary to suit; if you get significant snowfall while you are out there, getting back from Glacier point in soft deep snow will become a long, long, haul.

Badger pass has a webcam, so you can see what the current conditions are.

Paul Kilroy
    BPL Member

@punchcard

Very helpful, thanks!!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Please be careful along the rim–people have fallen off both Dewey and Taft Points.  In the snow, it’s not always easy to see where the rock stops and the snow keeps going.  But you’ll know, as soon as you drop 1000 feet…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Take snowshoes and XC ski poles. You’ll be glad you did. Jus’sayin’…

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

and have you considered xc skis? In any case. poles for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools