Topic

Suggestions for a mid-November hike 1-2 weeks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Suggestions for a mid-November hike 1-2 weeks?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

As work / life would have it I have some time in November for a bit of walk. I live in the Northeast but am willing to drive a fair ways for the right trail. My gear & body should be fine for overnight temps occasionally dipping into the upper 20s and a light dusting of snow but not much more winter than that… And further north than NYC you just never know what the weather might bring although its staying milder longer these days.

A loop would be ideal, any and all ideas appreciated -thx!

Peter

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Can you give an idea of how many miles you’re looking for?  Can you carry everything you need or will you need to resupply?

Pennsylvania has a couple options:

• Susquehannock Trail System – This is an 85-mile loop with some nice views and lots of seclusion.  It has a connector to the Black Forest Trail so you could add another 43 or so miles to your loop if you want that many miles.
    • While not a loop, the Laurel Highlands Trail is a 70-mile trail from Ohiopyle heading east.  The biggest pain here is that the entire trail is a PA State Park so you need to make reservations and can only stay in designated campsites.
    • I’m also a big fan of the Mid State Trail – Again, it’s not a loop but you can pretty easily pick a chunk of its 323-mile length running south to north through PA.  Another bonus here (and thank you for making me look at the website to get the link) is that the MST is now available on GuthookHikes (the iPhone app) for a nominal fee.
    • It may also be time to knock out a section of the AT if that holds any interest to you

Feel free to PM me…I live near Lancaster PA and, depending on your dates, may be able to help you with a shuttle ride to make up for a hike that isn’t a loop.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The AT in Virginia often has very nice fall weather then

peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

Thanks all –

Kevin for the good ideas & the very generous offer to help with transportation -another reminder of what a special group of folks this forum brings together.  I will research your suggestions, especially doing an AT section down south…

Also Elliot, glad to hear the weather is nice in VA then as I’ve always wanted to do the Shenandoah Park but never can seem to make it there for October foliage. But still this sounds like a perfect option, maybe a tickle of color left over…

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

Peter,

What’s your mileage per day and total mileage plan/desire?  As mentioned, Virgina A.T. will most likely fit your weather requirements.  May still be some color left in early Nov, but worst case is you’ll maybe be getting into some more open views later in Nov as the leaves drop.

Couple of good options here in the Southwest part of VA.

One good lollipop to consider.  Look at the Triple Crown here in Roanoke.  You’ll hit a couple of the best views and photographed spots on the A.T. in Virginia.  The loop you’ll find most places will be a 35 mile circuit starting from any one of multiple spots along the route.  But you can make it a 50 mile lollipop leaving from the 220 park and ride in Troutville, up and across Tinker Mountain with great views you won’t get on the 35 mile loop, then leave the A.T. on the Andy Layne trail, hop over to the old A.T. on North mountain, down to Dragon’s Tooth, back around to MacAfee Knob, hit Tinker Cliffs, and back out on Tinker Mountain to the car.  If you started further North, somewhere on the BRP, where you can easily access the A.T., you could leave your car at the 220 park and ride, shuttle to the BRP, and make it a giant lollipop stopping back at your car at the 220 parking lot.  That could as much as double the distance, adding 40 miles or more to the 50 mile lollipop.  I could possibly help with shuttling you up to the BRP or A.T. trailheads north of Roanoke if you decided on a longer route, just shoot me a PM to discuss.

Second option.  Mt. Rogers area.  Lots of places to start down in that area.  Great views, and there are a couple of reasonably priced shuttle services out of Damascus that could help you out.  And you might be able to work out a big loop there as well if you starting at some of the lower elevation areas of the Mt Rogers NRA and/or Grayson Highlands State Park.  Weather at elevation there can be colder and SUPER windy…just FYI.

-Chris

peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

Thanks Chris –

Not a fast hiker nor in much of a hurry – 15-18 miles a day is normal.  The Virginia AT sounds perfect and what I’m aiming for –

cheers, p

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools