Topic

Stuck on two rain jackets….Input welcome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stuck on two rain jackets….Input welcome

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

So I’m on the fence between these 2 rain jackets.  The Arc’teryx Zeta SL vs. REI Co-op Drypoint GTX.  Anyone have one or the other and have some input?  I’m leaning more to the REI jacket for its lower weight, packability, and lower price point.  Both are very breathable and very storm worthy and come very highly recommended I have found.  Just seeing what you guys think.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

What about the Arc’teryx Zeta FL?

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Was looking at that also but it’s no longer available at REI which is where I like to buy from since I’m a member and their great return policy.  It is a nice Jacket but about 100.oo dollars more then the fore mentioned ones I’m looking at.  It came down to these two jackets after doing some research.  Thanks for the heads up though.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would absolutely choose the REI Drypoint out of those two.  It is marginally lighter and cheaper, but the real advantage it has is that it uses a 3 layer Gore-Tex Active rather than a 2.5 layer Gore Tex Packlite and have core venting.  I have a Packlite shell (Haglofs Ozo) and though I have found it perfectly storm worthy, I’ve found 3L Gore Tex to be much more breathable and comfortable.  I have a 3L layer shell very similar to the Drypoint, the Montane Spine which is also a 3L Gore Tex Active Shell with pitzips.  I have had fantastic luck with 3L Gore Tex Active and used the jacket in some very wet environments including South-Central Alaska.

The one thing I can’t comment on, having not trying on the jackets, is the fit of the shell, particularly the hood, so if you can try both on it might make the decision for you, but if the hood on the REI jacket is decent, that’s the one I’d go with.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Thanks Brad!  I’ll be going to REI this week but since COVID they won’t allow you to try clothes on which really sucks. They do have the return policy so I can return if the fit isn’t right. Thanks for the input that helps a lot.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Sooooo…If you return the jacket, does REI think you did so not having tried it on?  No in-store try-on seems a rather silly rule.  FYI, there does not seem to be that rule in my local REI (FL).

Sorry for having nothing to add re: your question :)

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Yeah seems stupid right?  I’ve been told by them to try it on and if it doesn’t fit to bring it back no questions asked. Seems silly right?  All their fitting rooms are taped off or have a sign up saying “closed”.  I’ll be so glad when this crap is over. At least they stand by their return policy  so that’s a bonus

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just a guess but they could quarantine returns for a few days and then introduce them into circulation. its a technique being used in schools with shared equipment in media arts classes these days with gear like cameras and microphones. You bag them on a Thursday and give them to a new student on Monday.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Yeah I think the sales person said they do that with the clothing items.  It’s a hassle he said but it is what it is.  So far I only had to return one item that was a bit snug but all in all I’ve guessed pretty well.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Okay…that makes more sense.  I hadn’t thought of it that way.  Sucks to have stock off the floor during a 3 day “decontamination”.

I didn’t notice whether the fitting rooms in our local REI were closed, but people were trying on outerwear while standing at the racks so…in our case it would seem a very porous protection protocol at best.

Tom Osborne
    Spectator

@insptgo

Also looking at a new rain/shell and thinking Montbell Versalite.Now my system is a Patagonia Houdini wind jacket with a Patagonia M10 shell(total 12oz. Versalite is 6 to 7 Oz.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Well I ended up grabbing the REI Drypoint GTX jacket.  I took advantage of REI’s end of the year sale and got 30% off so I’m pretty excited. For the price it was pretty much a no brainer. I Finally got one of my last big layering items checked off that I so desperately needed. It pretty much had everything I was looking for.  A 3-layer, packable, light weight (10.5oz), and breathable storm worth jacket.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Congratulations, I’m sure it will serve you well.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

After much searching I’d say if I were to get a new rain parka it would be a Patagonia Torrentshell. Excellent reports on both the waterproofness and breathability of that parka.

That said REI has very high quality gear. My REI Kimtah eVent parka has served me well for 7 years. Too bad it’s no longer offered but your REI parka may be a better piece of gear given their constant improvement policy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools