Topic

Strop hitch and two single runners for rappel extension

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Strop hitch and two single runners for rappel extension

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Noticed using a double runner to extend rappel device is what all the cool kids are doing.

I like double length runners for alpine stuff. (Take them off even under a pack by unclipping the biners).

Cragging and walls they get in the way of my other slings. So why not strop hitch two single runners for the same effect for an extension, The added benefit being the strop hitch with a carabiner in the middle acts like a marlin spike and make the hitch easy to untie.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if you girth hitch a double length runner to your tie ins, put an overhand/fig8 knot right after the girth, put an overhand knot midway, clove hitch the top biner to the end, and then put the belay biner through both sides of the central knot (or instead of a central knot clove hitch the belay biner)

you now got a fairly redundant setup where if one strand gets chopped, it may still hold

this might be a consideration for areas with crap rock … namely the canadian rockies limestone

;)

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

That’s a neat idea, and does seem like it would be easier to untie. I use the setup that bearbreeder describes, but it stays girth hitched to my harness the whole time.

When cragging, do you remove your tether a lot? My only concern with the setup pictured is that you have to make sure and clip both the red and green runners with your belay biner and not just the red one (or you’d get some surprise extension). But properly setup it looks like a great use of gear

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

the main issue I see with all this is that it’s complicated.

when alpine or wall climbing you are often fatigued, and sometimes in a hurry, two states that do not go well with complicated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools