Topic

Stretching Altras?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stretching Altras?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lyell K
    Spectator

@lyellfork

I’ve got tailors bunions on both my feet (bunion on side of pinky toe). I got some Altra LP Mids but they’ve changed the fit to be narrower and the tightness is a little bit much.

Is there any way to safely stretch the shoe in a particular spot? (like punching a ski boot) Maybe with some minor heat? Otherwise the next best option is to go with a lightweight wide leather boot (Lowa renegade wides).

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

You could try a shoe stretcher (you can find them on Amazon). They usually come with “bumps” you can place in certain spots for specific issues like yours. If your foot is close width-wise, I’d be concerned about the outside of your foot “falling off” the outside though. You might need a wider shoe?

I would think that a more substantial boot would be more unpleasant, and that a trail runner would be the better solution.

Good luck!

Logan

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

They now come in a wide. I suggest correct toes or similar also, help realign them.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I’ve had mixed results using a shoe stretcher on synthetic shoes. (They can work wonders on leather though). My experience with synthetic shoes is that they can be stretched a small amount in width, but not in length.  I soak the shoes in water first, install the stretcher, then let them dry with the stretcher installed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools