Topic

Strangest stuff found in a beginner's backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Strangest stuff found in a beginner's backpack

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m imagining that baby carefully swadled and tucked into the drum for the hike. Is that wrong?

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I’m not sure how the heck they did it.  Me myself?  I carried in the 14 foot diameter canvas tipi cover (just visible background left).

Corby
    Spectator

@corby

Locale: Coast Mountains

On the West Coast Trail last summer I saw all sorts of crazy stuff. Multiple people carrying Steel tripod campfire grills, lawn chairs, cases of beer. At the first campsite we found a full size cast iron griddle. and on the second day found a whole ripe Mango at a lunch spot. (We ate it)

That trail does not seem to attract light weight hikers. At the half way point of the trail (35km in) there is a weigh in scale and we saw two guys bragging that their packs were over 100lbs. The looks me and my brother got when our packs were in the mid 20’s.

R
    Spectator

@autox

A few years ago on the High Sierra Trail, I saw a ranger packing out an abandoned queen size air bed with battery powered inflator.

But my favorite was when a friend pulled a duraflame log out of his pack.  This was quite intentionally ridiculous – we had less than 2 miles in down a gentle, half-paved grade, for the first night of 3.  We burnt it that night.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A Duraflame log is fuel. So it doesn’t count against your base weight.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Ha!

I suppose you could cook breakfast over your burning queen size air bed?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

A blower dryer (110v AC) along with a full size bottle of shampoo, another of conditioner, and a makeup kit. (No stove/fuel, water filter or toilet paper though!). Since that debacle I’ve been much more selective of my backpacking partners.

tony g
    BPL Member

@tonyg

Locale: norcal

I dont know if I should admit this….I’m a Scout Master,  took a few newer scouts on a easy 4mile back packing trip. One scout proceeds to pull a ice chest…?… he brought sushi for dinner…….

This year I inspected all their pack prior to the trip  all good.. except we get to our destination  9 miles in. That same scout now has 7 frozen bottles of water and 2 full size pool blow up loung chairs for the lake……

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That same scout now has 7 frozen bottles of water and 2 full size pool blow up loung chairs for the lake……

Hahahaha.  Ya know whut?  Assuming he hauled all that 9 mi into the backcountry without saying a word (because otherwise you’d have know about it before you got there), he sounds like a trooper!  Well done :)

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Someone hid a pineapple in my pack “as the perfect thing to go with the freeze-dried jambalaya” that I was carrying. Not a bad idea but packing out the inedible parts was a bit messy. I always suspected that the culprit was the fellow who stuffed a six bottles of Corona into his pack. Made for a good laugh and a great dinner though.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Every beginner I’ve hiked with has skipped the crucial step of not repeatedly checking their pack throughout the day for my “extra” beer.

It’s a crucial step to miss, for both of us…

;)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

poop strap.jpg

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Many years ago my buddy and I had to argue sternly that the 3rd member of our party should NOT bring his Hitler Youth sheath knife AND his pocket knife. The sheath knife reluctantly went back in his car.

I hiked with a thru hiker on the AT whose handle was “Skillet”. (Yes, he began the thru hike in GA with a small cast iron skillet!) By the time my buddy and I met him in Virginia he was a well seasoned backpacker. No more skillet.

Andy FitzGibbon
    Spectator

@andy-fitzgibbon

A 1 lb. ball peen hammer, which was used to pound in stakes for the two Zpacks Duplex tents they’d brought.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I was hiking out on the Manzana trail and met a group of young guys who were carrying a full-sized cooler and full-sized folding canvas chairs, the kind that kind of scrunch up and have cup-holders in the arm rests. They would walk a few feet and stop to rest for a while, then hike another few feet, then rest again. As long as they had a good time I suppose it doesn’t really matter.

Once I went on a trip in high school and found some firewood about 2 miles from the camp so I put a log on top of my pack. I could barely walk after that.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Saw four kids carry one of these, along with cans of soup, into a shelter on the AT.

They also had a carton of shelf-stable milk and a big box of cereal.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Did someone mention FRUIT??  Me and my backpacking buddies have an Appalachian mountain tradition—humping out a full watermelon during the trip.  If successful (sometimes the watermelon slides out from under the top pack lid)—they are inducted into the exclusive Melon Club.

I carried my Melon into Pisgah on Upper Creek back in 1985.  Johnny B brought in his Melon in the spring of 1988. Before the Age of Cameras. We old geezers have style.

Even the youngsters are getting in on the act as my backpacking buddy Patman, 20 years my junior, has humped in several melons over the years—to surprise me.  Photo proof?  Oh heck yes—

Patman doing a Melon Dance in Bald River Gorge wilderness.

Patman with Melon on Slickrock Creek.  (Check out his Seek Outside pack).

Melon Boy surprises me with his Melon in the Big Frog wilderness.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

Had a Scout carry hardback copies of the 4th and 5th Harry Potter books.  No idea when he thought he would read so much on a 1 night trip.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

We were talking to some old guys at a backcountry camp once who told us stories of the good old days. One time they were getting ready for a trip and one of them snuck a 12-pack of beer into the other guy’s backpack without him seeing it. At the end of the day he complains, my pack just feels so heavy, I don’t get it. Snickering, the first guy tells him to open his pack, which he does, and then discovers the beer. He replies, “Oh yeah? Well look in your pack!” Which he does and pulls out a whole frozen turkey. Good times, they said as they handed us a cold one out of a big red cooler. We were 16 miles from the nearest road. We asked, why did you bring so much beer? They pointed to their horses grazing in a nearby clearing, “Because we can.”

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

My second trip I brought a darbuka. Totally worth it though to play around campfire with no humans within 8 or 10 miles.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I’ve seen numerous beginners with a bunch of mid-sized rocks in their packs.  …Dunno how they got there…

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

My second trip I brought a darbuka. Totally worth it though to play around campfire with no humans within 8 or 10 miles.

Probably scared there might be cannibals.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools