Topic

Storing Food for Large Groups?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Storing Food for Large Groups?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Storing Food for Large Groups was mentioned in a recent mailing.  I don’t see an associated article or discussion about it.

I found the decision to use 18 Ursacks curious.

Assuming these were all UrSack Major’s because you were in bear country:

18 UrSack Majors weighs 8.55 pounds and would cost $640.00.

For large groups, I’ve seen NOLS groups use a portable electrified fence.    They put their food in a pile, and put the fence around it, and leave it for the night.  I don’t know what make or model of electrified fence they use.  A company called UDAP.com sells several models.  This appears to be the lower end version, which creates a fence 25 feet on each side and runs on 2 D-cell batteries for 5 weeks.  It cost 3.7 pounds with batteries and cost $270.00

Compared to the electric fence, it would seem to me that the UrSack option scales poorly to large groups.  This does not address smaller critters.   I don’t know what NOLS does to protect their food from those when using the electric fence.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve seen the California Conservation Corps (“hoods in the woods”) using an electric fence decades ago. There are now far lighter e-fence options.

For small critters, I suggest the popcorn- and Danish cookie tins. Squirrel, mouse and raven-proof, thrift stores have them for $1 or you can snag them from the office lunchroom during the holidays.

To protect lots of food from small critters, get a 25- to 40-gallon metal garbage can with a snug-fitting lid. Adding a stiff (hard for you to put on) bungee cord like the black rubber ones used by truckers renders it raccoon-proof.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools