Topic

Stolen pad at Havasupai this weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Stolen pad at Havasupai this weekend

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

Returned to my campsite this weekend at Havasupai after 4 hours or so down to Beaver Falls to find my daughters Big Agnes pad gone. I left my hammock up and a lot of my gear sitting there. I had patched a hole in her pad and woven it into the tall weeds so it would have time to dry and wouldn’t disappear if it got windy. Turns out it disappeared anyway. So very disappointed. Never had any issues at all like this. What a bummer. Guess busy weekends bring out the weirdos.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bummer.

I’ve never been comfortable leaving my gear around camp at Havasupai.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

YEP, It’s very sad that some people have no moral standards. In the old west it was not uncommon for horse thieves to be summarily shot or hanged when caught – no trial, just “hang ’em high”.

Gear thieves should have <i>all </i>their gear destroyed when caught (well, except for your own that you find on them). Stomp on it, slice it, etc. Let them see how it feels to go with no gear.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have never had my gear stolen although I often leave it for a few hours, maybe just lucky

Not at all trying to “blame the victim” but, could the pad have appeared to be lost?  Was it separate from your other gear?  How busy is Havasupa and how close to the trailhead?

That is a real bummer, I hope it didn’t ruin your trip

Once I set a thermometer on the ground to equilibrate, forgot it and walked off, remembered I forgot it and walked back 15 minutes later, it was gone.  I guess I don’t blame someone for picking it up.  I tend to leave stuff I find in case the owner comes back for it.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Not denying that it was stolen but, yes, I’d say that “woven into the tall weeds” might have looked more like “some miscreant lost/abandoned their pad” and the ostensible thief may have been trying to tidy the place up.  Perhaps the offender knew enough to know that a Big Agnes pad was an unlikely partner to your hammock?  Lord knows I’ve packed out a lot of trash in my days.  And I have seen sleeping bags and entire backpacks abandoned next to trails in Grand Canyon NP, so this would not be an unreasonable assumption.  People suck.  I guess that cuts both ways here though- I wouldn’t doubt thievery (Havasupai does seem to attract the six-pack litterbug crowd, whom I hold in low esteem) but I also wouldn’t doubt misinterpretation either, especially if the tall weeds weren’t particularly close to your hammock.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

” I’d say that “woven into the tall weeds” might have looked more like “some miscreant lost/abandoned their pad”

Sort of like Doug throwing my cheese in the fire : )

I was in no way blaming the victim, but it is interesting to know details, is there anything I can do in the future to minimize the risk?

That is a real bummer someone would do that

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

There were tall weeds right next to our established campsite on the north side of the river, so away from the main path, but a direct path to the bathrooms went right by our site. It was an obvious established campsite with a pack, a hammock full of stuff and cooking gear sitting next to the pad. I tried to look at it objectively, if I saw a pad there, I would assume it was with the rest of the persons stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools