Topic

Stocking Stuffer Suggestions.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stocking Stuffer Suggestions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Tis the season and I gathered a few of my favorite things as stocking stuffers for my staff. In case you have any Alaskans on your shopping list, or perhaps other outdoors people, in the $1, $4, and $6 categories:

On the right, those multiple colored cylinders clip around the wire bail of your basic 5-gallon bucket – the one in your boat, for gardening or that holds sand for the driveway.  It’s far less painful to carry with a decent handle on it

Upper left are the BEST ice scraper, not for thick ice, but for getting ALL the thin ice off your windshield. Brass is softer than glass but much harder than ice so press hard and it takes the ice COMPLETELY away right down to the glass so you can drive away before the defrost has kicked in.

And my favorite knife, the Little Vicky paring knife by Victorinox. Hack in next post.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Little Vickies are readily available for $5-6-7 each but nice light sheaths for them aren’t.

So I checked out the cheapest knives at Walmart ($1.12) and they have guards over them to prevent you from stabbing other customers. But it’s a fairly snug fit – I’d feel fine about having it in my pocket like that.

Shop or kitchen shears can nip off that spiky tail and even angle cut the sheath to match the angle on the knife.

All these except the Walmart knives pop up on Amazon and eBay and are cheaper if you buy 6-10 at a time.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools