Topic

Still searching for a good insulated mattress

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Still searching for a good insulated mattress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So I have an older Thermarest Trail Pro meld-inflator at 1 lb. 11 oz.

->The BA “insulated” mattresses have a bad rep for being cold

->REI Flash 3 season mattress is insulated and has a 4.2 R value and I trust REI’s rating. BUT… all the Flash mattress have a bad rep for springing leaks. Have they improved??

I’m not liking the Sea to Summit mattresses for noise and weight nor the Neo-Air X-Therm for noise.

Yeah, I’m hard to please – ask my wife. ;o)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

So anybody have a good history with the REI Flash mattress? I like its 15 oz. weight for a 4+ R value.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I now use the Thermarest X-Therm and don’t think it is as loud as the old Neo-Air’s or even the older X-Therms, but I konw there are some that might be bothered. Have you considered the Exped Downmat UL7 (or whatever the current model is)?

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

My hiking buddy has the REI flash and likes it. We just did a 170 mile section last month and he had no problems. However my Nemo spring a leak and I had to add air at least twice a night.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

@Brad-> I’ll look at the EXPED Downmat.

@jimmy-> That’s good newsier the REI FLASH mat.It could be the leakage problems have been addressed and they are now more reliable. I really like that mattress.

Brad W
    Spectator

@blw2

I have an older trailpro.  Love that thing.  I’ve slept on concrete slabs on that thing.  Not like my bed at home but darn good for what it is!

Looking for something lighter last year, I tried a few at rei.  The neo-air was too noisy, ended up getting an insulated nemo tensor.  It was quieter.  Seemed like a good mattress.  I wanted to like it.  I really tried.  Also, I’m thankful to REI for having a good return policy.

Ended up on a women’s model rei air rail.  Haven’t used it much yet…and it’s no trail pro….but I like it so far.

For reference, I’m a 180# male, 5-10

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

We own both a Neoair Xlite and Neoair XTherm. The XTherm weighs about 3 oz more. For the extra 3 oz you get a warmer pad with more puncture-proof material. The Xlite has 3 patches, the Xtherm none. The Xlite is so slippery I had to put half an oz of seam seal on both sides. I’d recommend the Xtherm over the Xlite. Both the pads make a crinkly sound; not a problem for most people.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I just got a REI Flash in regular/wide.  I’ve only laid on it in the house, but it seems pretty awesome.  One of the best things about it is that it takes about a minute to get back in the stuff sack.  Freakin’ Neoair took me at least 5 minutes.

Edit: they are on sale right now.

Edit 2:  I see them with R values of 3.7 and 5.2

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I used to use the old Trail Pro and then they upgraded to the “new” Trail Pro—a whole different beast.  The new Trail Pro is all I use now on my trips—so I need to buy four of them before they discontinue something that works great—like they’ve done with the Classic and the 40th Anniversary and the Ultralight and the Toughskin and the Camp Rest and the Guide Light and a dozen others.

Here’s the web pic of the Trail Pro—

Here’s a pic of it in action—look hard

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Eric I am a S2S convert where mats are concerned but I do think that any and all of the new LW mats need the protection of a CCF pad. I have a good T’Rest Basecamp that I am never getting rid of, moderately heavy yes but tough as nails and super reliable

When you think about things logically having to protect an UL air mat with a CCF sort of takes away the UL advantage but the comfort and better sleep makes that disadvantage worth while, and sleeping warmer and better is also my arguement in favour of wide mats over the standard 20 inch models

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“having to protect an UL air mat with a CCF sort of takes away the UL advantage”

CCF pads have always been UL – especially when you look at them at either their R value per inch or their R value per ounce.

They are certainly more durable, rather multi-use, won’t loose their R value, and are pretty darned inexpensive.

BUT, they’re just a little bulky & aren’t typically as comfy as their air mattress counterparts…

:)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

After talking to an REI rep about the FLASH Insulated regular (mummy shape) mattress I was assured that any leaks AT THE WELDS would be covered by REI “for life” (not reassuring since I’m already 75 ;o) B/C they would constitute a “manufacturing defect”. (D@mn right they are.)

But he said leaks elsewhere would only be covered for one year.

That’s good enough for me. I can patch pinhole leaks on the fabric but weld leaks are nearly impossible to patch, even with Shoo Goo.

So the next REI 20% sale will see me getting the REI FLASH Insulated mat. I have a hunting trip in the 1st two weeks of October at 9,000 ft. in northern Nevada and will need that R 3.7 warmth of the insulated FLASH as well as its 15 oz. weight. And the big deal with the FLASH series it that I can use REI or EXPED inflators, keeping my moist, mold inducing breath out of the mattress.

@Brad
    – Nice you’re getting in touch with your feminine side with the Women’s Air Rail mattress. Your derrier will be well insulated.

@walter
    – That new Pro Trail looks warmer than mine but I’d only get one if I was using a pulk to haul my gear. And out west here with the mountains it’s not usually practical. Pulks are for more flat or rolling terrain.

For winter I may get REI’s thicker R 5 insulated FLASH mattress B/C it’s warmer than even my old Trail Pro. First we’ll see how the 3 season version holds up.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Eric—Here’s a pic showing the difference between the old Trail Pro and the new—

Both are at 4R so the new one isn’t really warmer—but it’s lighter, probably because the deniers are different.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

@Walter I find that my old CampRest was more comfortable when blown up hard; does the same apply to the new TrailPro?

@Matt
    I was referring to the combined weight of CCF + airmat not being UL so the weight advantage of the new fabrics wasn’t being fully realised

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Edward—Yes, I like a firm pad.  When I sit up in my tent on my bony butt I don’t like feeling the ground underneath, ergo a firm pad.

Btw, I lived on a Camp Rest for over 20 years when I lived in my tipi—and went thru several.

In their weird wisdom Thermarest renamed their Camp Rest to Base Camp—No reasons given.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools