Topic

Sticky cord

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sticky cord

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

After storm last week, I needed a throw line to send the rope over a broken tree branch so that I could pull it down.

When in my gear closet… Which is in the house and air conditioned…. and pulled out ..never used….spectra cord.    It’s sticky and the orange on it comes off on your hands.

This is about 1 to 2 mm size.  And came from either z-packs or Lawson.  Quite honestly I think it came from Lawson.  We have two lines from z-packs in use and I know they have not degraded this way.   Been in there probably 3 or 4 years but never been used / unravelled.

Anyone else ever seen this with a Spectra cord?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have two different types of orange accessory cord (not Ironwire/Guywire) from Lawson that fit that description and neither has gone sticky. Is it the solid core one with white/orange flecks?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Actually looks more like a 2.5 mm to me I guess.    I have a lighter orange one that only weighs .95 Oz for 50 ft that I use sometimes.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t recognize that cord.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I’ve only gotten spectra cords from mld

, z-packs, and Lawson. The MLD was Green.

it’s pretty clear that the color and the coating was only on the outside of the cord the inside of the fibers are kind of white looking when you kind of open the cord up

In any case that coating broke down

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

A post from 2011 described the heavier zpacks cord as sticky

Maybe it didn’t break down, maybe it was always sticky since I never used it I wouldn’t have known.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

It does look like Lawsons. I believe he doesn’t manufacture that particular one anymore. I used it for my hammock setup and I recall it having a waxy slight tacky residue to it brand new. Breaks down over time. Just checked those lines in the gear closet and they still are a slight bit tacky. Nothing that comes off on my hands though. I remember this being great for tying and locking in knots or Dutchware gear. (on second thought/sight, mine has reflective tracers in it and no core)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools